Opti what the He**.....

Allaryanna
on 2/1/12 1:12 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 So on day 7 of Optifast.  I understand the reasoning behind the liquid diet supplement to shrink the liver, but feeling a little jealous of those who lost weight during Opti.

Down a whole 4lbs.  *Sigh*  And my blood sugars are creeping higher each day.  My fasting blood sugar was 9.1 yesterday, 9.7 today.  Thank the lord for Audrey who told me not to panic yet, unless it keeps rising.  Had a reading of 10.5 after my morning Opti Shake. Looks like I will end up back on at least one of my insulins for the next 7 days.  

Is there something I am doing wrong with Opti or is it just my messed up blood.  

In a day I have, 1.5-2 litres of water. Some with Crystal Light.

3-4 opti shakes- Now made with Decaf Coffee no other additives other than ice.

1 cup of broth split into 2 servings.

1 serving of SF Jello Once a day as a treat.

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

swagger
on 2/1/12 1:20 am, edited 2/1/12 1:22 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
RNY on 02/10/12
Hi, I myself am also on day 7, I have heard directly from my bariatric team yesterday that some people do not even lose a pound. The importance is the fat off the liver and thats what the diet is for.

You will have plenty of time to lose weight post surgery, so losing any weight on opti is not as important.

Great Luck to you on your journey! What day is your surg on and where?

Regards

Darren

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It's your mind you have to convince."
-Vincent Lombardi of the Green Bay Packers

Allaryanna
on 2/1/12 1:35 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 Hey there.  Surgery is Feb 9/12 in Guelph.  

I get the whole some people don't lose weight on Opti.  Just can't believe only eating 900 cals, well maybe 930 with Crystal Light and SF Jello. That my blood sugars won't behave.  

Does my intake look right to you, because it looks right to me.

When/where is your surgery?

Di

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

look_out_world
on 2/1/12 1:44 am - Canada
 Hi Aallaryanna!  I was on Opti for 4 freaking weeks and only lost 20 lbs.  I was horrified when I found that out lol.  Hang in there and focus on the fact that you're doing the Opti thing to make your surgery an easier process.  You WILL get through this!!!  

Monica M.
on 2/1/12 2:17 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Our bodies, since the time we were neanderthals, are more designed to hang on to extra stores of energy (fat) rather than let them go. Your body is in starvation mode, so your body is saying "WTF is going on!!!!!!!!!!" and hanging on to everything it can. Once it realizes you mean business, it'll let go of the energy stores.

Lynette1962
on 2/1/12 2:20 am - Whitby, Canada
Hi ....from what you wrote, your intake sounds right although I always ensured that I had my 4 shakes per day......I had surgery 3 months ago and only lost 9 months while on Optifast......

I am not diabetic so won't comment on the sugar levels - perhaps talk to the nurse @ the hospital about this.....

I have reached my goal weight ..... and LOVE my RNY !!!!!!!!!

on_my_way2011
on 2/1/12 3:04 am - Canada
I only lost 11 pounds on three weeks of opti and my sugeon said my liver was perfect, so don't worry too much.

Also, I wasn't on insulin, but my sugars sat between 9 and 12 the whole time on opti, except at the beginning when I was still on diamicron and had a few sugar lows so they took me off that.  After surgery my sugars skyrocketed, so much so that they put me on insulin in the hospital. I think the lowest reading we got in hospital was 17.  

Now four months out I am off all diabetes meds and my sugars are between 4 and 6 when I test.  I am going for a fasting blood test next week, so we will see what my overall progress has been.

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

JennaMi77
on 2/1/12 3:06 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Hey Girl,

I am just finishing day 14 of my shakes (Surgery is tomorrow!!) My first week I last all of 6lbs and when I hopped on a scale yesterday I was down 9.5 more...our diets seem very similar, Please don't get discouraged, our team (Dr. Reed is also doing my surgery) is the best around. They know whats what.

I called Audrey (the Nurse) on Day 7 to say "WTF, why so little lost?"  She told me the same, liver loss, not overall weight loss...

Message me if you need some cheering up...
Heregoesnothing66
on 2/1/12 12:20 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/23/12
Good luck with your surgery.  I wish you all the best.  Speedy  and healthy recovery.
Most Active
Recent Topics