Weight issue

Dianadcr
on 1/28/12 10:28 pm - Canada
I had surgery on Monday and feel not too bad. My problem is that I've lost only a measly two pounds. I thought after surgery there would have been a significant weight loss. Maybe at least five or seven pounds. I have protein shakes, jello and the occasional popsicle. Water is a bit more difficult to get in. Maybe half of what is recommended. I also move around quite a bit. Bowels are also working. Any insights would be appreciated.
  Diana

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/28/12 10:33 pm - Windsor, Canada
 I gained 11 lbs in the hospital and it took a while before it came down so no, you are not necessarily going to see a huge drop in weight.  The first month or so, you shouldn't even focus on the weight. You should be focusing on eating and drinking and trying to get to your goals. Trust me, the weight will take care of itself.  Your body has gone through a lot of shock. It may take it a while to adjust accordingly.

Healing should be your first priority at this point, not the scale.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Dianadcr
on 1/28/12 10:36 pm - Canada
Voice of reason. Thank you Dawn. You make a lot of sense.
  Diana

babyjoesunshine
on 1/28/12 10:36 pm - Burlington, Canada

Good morning and congrats on your surgery.

This is not a race and your body will be reacting differently in the next few weeks/months...my advice would be take life one day at a time, follow your surgeons diet, get your water in and hide the scale for the first month or so.  Some people weigh themselves too often and get discouraged.

This is just the stepping stone to a long process...well worth it, but it will take some time.  Some people lose faster than others, but there is no set standard that you must or should be losing.

Good luck on your journey !

Tracy

Tracy

Brenda T.
on 1/28/12 11:19 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Aww give it some time sweety.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

Dianadcr
on 1/28/12 11:28 pm - Canada
Tracy and Brenda you're right. I'm addicted to that darn scale. Have to take time to heal. Like you said Tracy, it's not a race. Thanks for your words of wisdom and support.
  Diana

3turtles
on 1/29/12 3:22 am - Columbus, OH
Do not let yourself get addicted to the scale! I posted a similar post about a week after my surgery which was this past September because I was weighing myself everyday and not seeing the steady decline I was expecting. Pick a day of the week and only weigh yourself then. Do it first thing in the morning after you pee and before you eat anything. It is a lot more exciting when you see what you have been able to achieve in a week versus just one day.
consultation: 8/29/11 nutritionist: 9/7/11 psych eval: 9/12/11 stress test: 9/20/11 gi scope: 9/21/11 nurse visit: 9/28/11 SURGERY: 9/29/11

babyjoesunshine
on 1/29/12 1:37 am - Burlington, Canada
No worries, that's what we are here for.................support as wisdom as our journey will never be over, even after we lose the weight.....

Tracy

JJ_
on 1/29/12 8:53 am
Hi Diana,

I didn`t lose much the first three weeks home.  The first week I lost the extra water weight from being in hospital.  Then I wasn`t eating or drinking enough for my body to lose weight.  I feel my body was in starvation mode due to the small amount of total calories I was consuming.

Since I was able to start eating more, the weight has finally started to drop. 

Now, each of us is different.  We each started at different weight, we each are at different stages of our lives, we may have certain medications that may not allow us to lose at a satisfying rate, we may have difficult metabolisms.  All I know is that once the first three weeks was done, My body started responding. 

Glad to hear that your bowels are functioning!!

Take care,

Judy
Dianadcr
on 1/29/12 8:58 am - Canada
Judy, thanks for your in site. I've decided not to stress about this and let nature take it's course. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  Diana

Most Active