Significant decrease in heart rate post-op???

trudylam
on 1/25/12 2:56 am - Sudbury, Canada
Hiya everyone.  I just had a quick question for the vets out there.  I went for my annual physical this morning and when the doctor checked my heart rate it was teetering between 49-54 BPM.  Normal for me before this surgery was in the high 80's.  Did you notice that your heart rate dropped drastically after you dropped the weight?  I have to go for an EKG to ensure everything is ok but I'm sure everything is fine.  I also got him to start recording the sores that I keep getting under my tummy so that if the time ever comes that I need a panniculectomy that hopefully it can be covered under OHIP.  Thanks guys :) 
Megan M.
on 1/25/12 3:04 am - Canada
Don't know about the heart rate part, but I do love your new avatar.  You're looking so lovely.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Monica M.
on 1/25/12 3:07 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
That's low. Are you an athlete? lol

It's good that  you're getting it checked out, i'm sure its ok tho. Your heart is working way less harder than it used to. My dad used to have a really low heart beat, he said that he thought that was a good thing, cuz if you're only allowed a million (or however many) heart beats, he would last longer.

Get that stuff documented!! good for you! pave the way for a nice belly!

Marny B.
on 1/25/12 4:28 am, edited 1/25/12 4:29 am - Canada
Yes, mine did extensively. Before surgery, I was having a lot of heart pain and palpitations, so I was hyper-vigilent (aka paranoid), about checking my heart rate. :P It was always in the high 80's and even 90's.

After surgery however, it sits at about 55-60BPM. My doctor said it is normal, and no more pain or irregular beats.

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

lbaetz
on 1/25/12 4:31 am - St. Thomas, Canada
Hi there

Mine dropped drastically as well.  Mine is running about the same as yours.  My surgeon explained it to me this way.....with losing all the weight, your heart no longer has to work as hard to beat.  Also I am a cardio junkie so that has caused it as well.

A year after my bypass I actually had a hernia surgery and the nurses wouldn't let me out of bed to walk because of my heart rate and the surgeon came in and told them it was ok for me to get up it's totally normal for me...lol

Lori

DonnaB1952
on 1/25/12 5:08 am - Amherstburg, Canada
RNY on 01/18/12
Trudy, YES... I have always had a bit of bradycardia 52-60 regularly but after surgery every night my alarm went off all night long... they kept adjusting it lower ... but once it got to 44 they would not go any lower... kept me an extra day. My GP is sending me back to cardiologist in a couple of weeks for follow-up.

Take care, Donna

My Journey: Highest W= 349 Loss w/Weight Watchers= 296 Loss w/Optifast= 278 
Referral: Aug.25/11 Orientation: Sept.26/11, Optifast: Dec.28/11 & Surgery: Jan 18/12 

Total Loss= 187 lbs & Weight Loss since Dec 28/2011 w/Opti+WLS= 134 lbs. 

Current Weight  - April 2013 = 162.2

irol770
on 1/25/12 5:17 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
Yes mine used to be in the 80s and sometimes even 90s.  Now mine will be in the 50s or 60s but that varies as well.  Sometimes I check it and it is as low as 45.  When I was in the hospital having my gall bladder out they kept rechecking it because it was in the low to mid 40s and my blood pressure was low as well...around 90/50ish.  I was running then and I think that's why my heart rate was so low.  I haven't run since about November so I think that's why it is a bit higher now.

In any case...the answer to your question:  Yes I noticed that mine dropped drastically!  LOL
Glitter Text Generator

trudylam
on 1/25/12 5:48 am - Sudbury, Canada
Thank you, thank you, thank you, everyone!  I feel so much better knowing that I'm not dying! LOL  I thought it probably had something to do with the weight loss but there was still a little piece of me that was worried that something could be wrong.  I will still go for the EKG to be sure but I feel so much better about it now. :)  You all rock! :)

CanDoItFour
on 1/25/12 5:56 am - Canada
Exactly the same experience, subsequent EKG (clear), and the explanation that my blood vessels had probably become larger than average when they had to support all that extra tissue.  I've shrunk, but they are the same, so the heart doesn't have to work as hard to push the blood around.  According to the nurse during a colonoscopy I had this week, my pulse apparently got down to the mid 30's .  It's good to know this, and probably important to advise health care people about it whenever it's relevant to what they are doing for you.

Claire

PS I was worried too at first!
Leslie W.
on 1/25/12 9:54 am - Cobourg, Canada
I was always sitting on the tachy side in the 100's for yrs. Now my heart rate is in the low 70's. As long as your blood pressure is good, enjoy.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics