Optimist and lows

Dianadcr
on 1/7/12 2:43 am - Canada
I had my first optimist this morning. (palitable). An hour later I went from an 8 morning reading to a 3.4. I'm worried about the lows and wonder if I should drop some of the metformin. I'll monitor this very closely and call the centre after the weekend. Has anyone else experienced this
Thanks
Diana
  Diana

momof4beautifulgirls
on 1/7/12 2:55 am - Canada
My sugars went down as well, it was a good thing for me as they were pretty high.  I would check with the nurse on Monday.
Dianadcr
on 1/7/12 2:56 am - Canada
Thanks. Good advice.
JJ_
on 1/7/12 2:57 am
HI Diana,

After my first week of Optifast, metformin was cut to half the dose I had been on.  Metformin itself does not give you lows (according to the NP and my family doctor).  I had been told to stop pioglitazone prior to starting Optifast as it was a drug that could cause blood sugars to drop.

Good luck in getting a formal response from your centre (as the above was only my personal experience).

Judy
Dianadcr
on 1/7/12 3:00 am - Canada
Thanks Judy. I take glicizide and metformin so there will definitely have to be some adjustment.
PaulaToronto
on 1/7/12 3:12 am - Toronto, Canada
I think my clinic said to stop all diabetic meds while on optifast but call you diabetic team member on Monday.  In the meantime stop the glicazide which is what causes the lows.  See how you do on Metformin alone until you speak to the nurse.  

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Dianadcr
on 1/7/12 3:21 am - Canada
Paula, I was actually thinking of that, kind of following along what Judy said. Gosh this forum is just so helpful. I'd be in a bit of a panic otherwise. Thanks Paula.
aprilbennett1965
on 1/7/12 3:46 am - Canada
Sorry Diana that I don't have any answers as I am not diabetic, but I did want to wish you the best in finding the right answer so you can continue your OF without worry.
Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

Dianadcr
on 1/7/12 3:48 am - Canada
Thanks April. I appreciate your kind words and thoughts.
suebdc
on 1/7/12 4:39 am - Kinburn, Canada
VSG on 01/26/12
Hi Dianadcr

In Ottawa I was told to stop the glicizide the evening before starting Optifast.

Sue
Most Active