About to fall off the wagon

KristieA
on 10/7/11 3:16 am - Orillia, Canada
I am so sorry you are going through this Trudy. I too saw my grandma last weekend for her birthday and she was not well. It is very hard to see the ones we love go through this. Try to stay strong. I know it is tough. I ended up taking some time off work on Monday and travelling back to Toronto to sit with her just on my own. She didn't know who I was or why I was there, but she wouldn't let my hand go. I know deep down her belief in God will help her through this time.

My thoughts are with you and your family. You have done amazing on your journey thus far. Keep it up. If you need to talk we are here for you.

Hope to see you soon,

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Megan M.
on 10/7/11 3:52 am - Canada
Trudy, I'm so sorry for your family situation right now.  Please try to stay strong for everyone and mostly for yourself.  You've come a long way, and while one fall off the wagon probably won't hurt you now, it's how much easier it will be to fall off the second time, and the third . . . that will be the big problem.  Don't do it if at all possible.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

StevesGal
on 10/7/11 4:11 am - Hamilton, Canada

So sorry to hear about your grandmother.  What a wonderful love story, though.  I wish we could all have such longlasting love stories.  Sending prayers for her.

You did the right thing by coming here for support and to avoid diving headfirst into the candy.  Painting your nails is a great idea.  And if that doesn't work once they're dry, find something else to do - housework, clean the cupboards, etc.   Keep your mind off the candy.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

AllaP
on 10/7/11 4:20 am - Vaughan, Canada
 I am so sorry Trudy. Sending you hugs and positive vibes. Try to be strong.
trudylam
on 10/7/11 4:27 am - Sudbury, Canada
Thank you everyone for your hugs and support.  It's been such a rough road over the last year with grandma's health and it's starting to get to me.  I am going down to Toronto tonight after my husband gets home to spend some time with her even though she may not even know I'm there.  When I heard of the "pact" that they had, it just ripped my heart out.  I wish I had of known.  I painted my nails and now I am buried in school work.  I have some reports to write and books to read.  Thank you again, all of you. :)  I am blessed to have people to turn to. 
Radiogirl39
on 10/7/11 7:20 am - Canada
Oh Trudy that is so sad. 

Good for you for recognizing that this would be an easy time to make some bad decisions.  But of course it's only momentary comfort.  I love the idea of painting your nails as a distraction - I'm gonna try that.

Julie

JennR
on 10/7/11 8:09 am
I don't think your grandmother needs to stay at the hospital until the end. There are other options if it was important to her and your grandfather for her to be at home. She may come out of her hallucinations which may have been brought on by the sugar imbalance and be able to be at home with home care supports. It is possible to have PSW and nursing support around the clock if necessary. Every hospital should have a CCAC case manager who could put in a referral for your grandmother to go home with home care. They would rather have her at home than in the hospital because hospitals are really no place for palliative care. Also from a $$ perspective it is cheaper for the health care system to put in 24 hour care than a hospital stay. Even a hospice would be better if there are any in your area. If your grandfather or grandmother has insurance from wherever they worked they may have coverage for nursing care so that could supplement the hours that CCAC is willing to cover. PM me if you need some more info.

Jennifer D.
on 10/7/11 8:12 am
Sorry to hear about your grandmother Trudy. My grandma was really out of it once in the hospital and she livened up when they found her electrolytes were low and supplemented that. I have also watched my grandpa with dementia and I know it's difficult when there's nothing you can do.

You are using some great resources to stop yourself from eating the wrong things - congratulations. I hope you find some peace and relaxation this Thanksgiving weekend.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
PaulaToronto
on 10/7/11 9:37 am - Toronto, Canada
So sorry to hear about your stress. Seeing a loved one lose their independence is soo hard.  I can relate. My mother had her second heartattack in 3 months yesterday and now they say she needs open heart surgery.  She's 81.  All I want to do is eat but there is nothing in the house to eat since I am going away for the weekend.  It is taking all my will not to call for a pizza.  Instead I went for a nap and will spend some time online to try and diffuse the awful feeling in my stomach. 

You've been doing so well and beating up on yourself by eating is not going to change anything which of course you already know.  I wish you peace during this difficult time.
ROSIESMILE
on 10/7/11 9:55 am
I paint my nails while watching tv; keeps me busy. I hadn't realise that it was a strategy to curbe the munchies...  but it works.

Stay strong.
Most Active
Recent Topics