Cabbage?

trudylam
on 10/1/11 2:24 am - Sudbury, Canada
Hi everyone.  I am making a big pot of cabbage rolls and stewed cabbage today.  I haven't tried it post op but I was just wondering if anyone has had issues with it.  Thanks for any responses. :)  
AllaP
on 10/1/11 3:16 am - Vaughan, Canada
 How did you make cabbage rolls? I mix ground meat with rice. Is there any way to avoid rice?
trudylam
on 10/1/11 5:16 am - Sudbury, Canada
I am sure you can make them without rice if you can't tolerate it.  I made mine with rice though.  I did it the lazy way though, I didn't really roll them, I just layered chopped cabbage in the bottom of my casserole, put the meat layer in the middle, then another layer of the chopped cabbage and covered it all with crushed tomatoes.  I find it's so much easier to freeze the leftovers and I think it will be easier to portion without having to deal with an entire cabbage roll.  My house smells so good. :)
flyingwoman
on 10/1/11 4:47 pm
 use lentils in lieu of rice!

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
Megan M.
on 10/1/11 5:31 am - Canada
I've eaten cabbage with no problem.  Rice, not so good.  And pork roast is a definite no for me - every time I've had it I've had major stomach pain and vomiting, and yet a bit of pork chop was fine.  Weird.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

StevesGal
on 10/1/11 7:24 am - Hamilton, Canada
Sounds yummy!  When my mom and I make cabbage rolls, we do to the leftover bits what you did - make "Cabbage Roll Casserole".  (Should get her up for a couple of days and do some 'winter store-away' cooking.) 

Brewing

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Donnaslifepart2
on 10/2/11 4:25 pm - Canada
I make the casserole the same way.  I was thinking about just skipping the rice and using more meat....or maybe just measuring out say 2-3 cups of cooked rice and adding that to the meat and cutting down on the liquid a bit.

Can ya tell the cold weather is coming?  We're all thinking about comfort foods.
Mary A.
on 10/3/11 4:35 am
because I watch carefully what my protein intake is...I think I have had 1-2 cabbage rolls maybe twice in 3 years since i have had the surgery

..I unwrapped the cabbage roll and just ate the filling..but there again...was it the best use of my protein intake...IMO - no and for me personally there was still gas....maybe it was the proke/beef filling, not sure..but then again I can eat a small pork chop and a 1/4 cup of rice.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics