OT - Food allergies in school

trudylam
on 9/6/11 12:45 pm - Sudbury, Canada
Hello to all my OH brothers and sistas! :)  I am looking for some information here and I am hoping that maybe someone has encountered this over the years.  Here's the story...

I have a 7 year old son who has a severe peanut allergy.  When he started school, I was told that the school was peanut free and that I had nothing to worry about.  What a freakin' lie.  I find that the teachers are the worst culprits and one of these days they are going to seriously hurt my child.  There is no policy in our school board that lays out what the teachers can and can't do as far as giving food to the kids and some of the teachers are not careful at all.

Does anyone know of a school board in Ontario, catholic or public, that has a food allergy policy?  How does your child's school handle food allergies?  I am aware of Sabrina's Law but I am looking for more specific information than that.  I am going to have to go to our school board but I need some intellectual ammo first.  Thanks everyone. :)

Kim O.
on 9/6/11 12:56 pm - Windsor, Canada
I work for the public board in Windsor, and while the schools are supposed to be peanut free, sometimes it happens. That being said, I am shocked that a teacher would give out something with peanuts in it to a class with an allergic child. The principal gives out printouts to EVERY teacher in the building of who has allergies to what with their pictures, and these are to be posted so as not to forget. We have staff with allergies, medical conditions as well as the students. I believe this is protocol board wide for the GECDSB. This could be something to suggest to your son's school.

The school I work in has some struggling families who send their children to school occasionally with peanut butter sandwiches. If this happens, and there is someone in the room with an allergy, the student who brought in the food would be sent to eat in another room. We do tell all parents to send in nut free food, even if there is no one in the class with an allergy, and put it in the school newsletter, but sometimes the food slips in.

My son goes to a French Catholic school, and they are very very strict. They have signs posted all over the building, and if a child brings in something with nuts, they are not permitted to eat it. It gets sent home. One time I grabbed the wrong granola bar and gave my son a caramel nut instead of a smores, and he came home with it at the end of the day.

Before going to the school board, I would suggest speaking with the teacher first, and if you are not satisfied, then go to the administration. If after that, you are still not happy, then a board call or visit would be in order.

Good luck.
referred:  Jan 2011   rec'd letter from WRH:  June 6, 2011   orientation:  July 14, 2011           SurgEd:  July 5/12     Meet the Surg.  Aug 9/12     Surgery Sept 7/12

Mariann M.
on 9/6/11 1:02 pm - Washago , Canada
I am not sure about a law per say but I know that I recived a letter today (we are in Simcoe County, Severn Township area)  regarding Anaphylactic Student in Class, which is more of a reminder to not send peanut related foods to school and I have always tried to be very careful.
As for the teachers bringing foods that is just stupid and they should know better for goodness sake. I would definatly talk with the school board and the school it's self, they are there to protect your child and teach, not cause harm due to their irresponsibility.      

trudylam
on 9/6/11 1:11 pm - Sudbury, Canada
Thank you so much for the information. :)  I am also in Simcoe County, we are with the catholic board.  I have been dealing with the teachers for 3 years now and it's the same fight every year.  They are quick to spout off some rules but they refuse to enforce them.   In June my sons teacher actually handed out cupcakes to the classroom without reading the ingredient list.  It was only after my son ate most of it that she realized that it had a warning on it and took it away from him.  So now the rest of the class is covered in a potential hazard and we only got lucky that he didn't have a reaction.  Didn't even get an apology out of that one.  And that's just one instance.  Every halloween, christmas, valentine's day, etc...it's the same thing.  I am ready to blaze a trail here so that other parents don't have to worry about this.  It's hard enough when it's just classmates that you have to worry about, but when the teachers are the ones putting the kids in danger it's just maddening.  Ok, my rant is over. LOL  I get a little heated when I talk about this stuff.  
Monica M.
on 9/6/11 1:44 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
i have nothing constructive to say. You FREAKING ROCK, sister!!! truly and completely.

Sher1ock
on 9/6/11 1:51 pm - Canada
 What Monica said....ditto.

on_my_way2011
on 9/6/11 9:20 pm - Canada
I am a substitute teacher (I also work in the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic board, but only in the Muskoka area...and I find the three schools up here very good about peanut allergies...I'm sorry that isn't your experience).

I have a peanut allergy in the family (sort of...it's my daughter's boyfriend who spends a lot of time at our house) and have found that while everyone has heard of peanut allergies, they really don't understand them.  They often believe that if the food doesn't have actual peanuts it is a safe food.  I think educating them is your best bet for getting them on board.  I would even ask if you could have an opportunity to speak to everyone at a staff meeting or at least set up a meeting with the teachers who will interact with your child. 

You could bring in some labels to show the "may contain" warnings, the peanut free symbols and explain that each ingredient needs to be evaluated too (in homemade items).  My mom used to buy all of her baking ingredients at Bulk Barn, but due to potential cross contamination, nothing from there is safe unless it is packaged.

I have been shocked by the number of companies that are now offering peanut free products (even baked treats like cupcakes and cookies), so there really is no excuse for bringing in a product that not all the students can enjoy.

I would really hope that with a bit of education you will get the staff at your school on board!!  If not, keep trying...you are your child's best advocate.  And don't be afraid to go above your principal if you get no cooperation...superintendents, trustees, director of education...there are lots of people your principal is accountable too that you can ask to intervene.

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/11 9:24 pm - Guelph, Canada
 the upper grand school board .. (Guelph) had a no food reward policy... so if the kids are to be rewarded with something they cant be given a food reward because of this .

my daughters bus driver was giving them suckers and i lost it!!!! i was supported by the bard 100%.
Bonnie ABC
on 9/6/11 11:05 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
My daughter who is 25 now, has a severe peanut allergy.   3 minutes is all she's got.  Along with legumes and licorce.   Not fun as the kid, nor those around her.   I personally had to go to the school and educate as back then, not much support.  I understand, no suggestions with your school board, ... what if you ask to go and educate?  Is there a video you can show? 

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
slim115
on 9/7/11 1:03 am - peterborough, Canada
ive just emailed a buddy who is durham catholic principal..ill let ya know wat i get from him...

spence
Most Active
Recent Topics