process at St. Joe's Hamilton

Pam B.
on 9/3/11 12:35 am
Hi All,
I was just wondering what to do now.  I have been to my sleep test, had bloodwork, seen the nurse/dietician, the internest, gone for my gastroscopy and seen the psychiatrist.  Do I just wait for them to call me with any more appointments or should I give them a call?  What appointments would I have left to do?  I would have asked Krista when I was there, but she wasn't.  So any help would be fantabulous!
Thanks in advance!
  Pam
         Referral Sent: February 2011   Surgery Date: November 2, 2011 by the fantabulous Dr. Gmora!!!    
bogie
on 9/3/11 1:41 am - Canada
Krista will call you Pam. I found her to be excellent that way. Some times the wait seems long but that is just because they are trying to process as many people as possible efficiently as possible. Have you had an abdominal ultrasound? You may not need one but i had one. If not then the next appt. could be with the surgeon and then after that your date. That could take 2 mos though. Don't worry your time will come.
bogie    
HW 305.5  Optifast 290 SW  276.5  CW 249 GW 148  My angels are Connie and Leanne

Pam B.
on 9/3/11 2:42 am
thanks Bogie!  That is what I figured.  I haven't been told anything about an abdominal ultrasound, go I don't know if I will need one.  I realise that it could be a while, but am in no rush as I know my time will come when it does.  Are there any classes that you had to go to? Like a nutrition class or surgery class?  I have seen a couple of people mention that on here and not sure since every centre is different if I will have to do that too.
How are you doing?  Hope you are recovering well and thanks for the info!!
StevesGal
on 9/3/11 3:37 am - Hamilton, Canada
Yes, Krista will call you with your next appt(s).  If you do need an abdominal ultrasound (and I think pretty much everyone does - it helps to see how big your liver is), then she'll call you with that as well.

Once you've seen the surgeon, you will be given a date for your Surgery Class.  They go thru the handbook with you.  You should get your surgery date and PATTS date around this time, too.  The surgeon will give you your prescription for your Optifast and other meds, which needs to be filled at the hospital pharmacy (at least, the OF does).  Bring a couple of those reuseable shopping bags to carry it all.  I can't give you an exact cost since all of mine was covered under insurance, but I think the OF was about $45/box (2 boxes/week).

If you go to my blogs, you can see the order of my appts.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Pam B.
on 9/3/11 8:33 am
thanks for the info, we already checked with our benefits and unfortunately they don't cover the OF...boooo! lol  this is all happening faster than I anticipated, but am glad for it!
JennR
on 9/3/11 8:12 am
I'm surprised that you haven't had your abdominal ultrasound yet as it sounds like they want that done before your internist appointment. I would call the clinic on Tuesday and ask about it. How about an EKG? If I remember correctly I was given the requistion for the EKG at the nurses' appointment and was called soon after for the appointment for the abdominal ultrasound. I think all that you are missing other than those is the appointment with the surgeon and then the last class which is a go through over the procedure with the nurse and the diet that we have to follow with the nutritionist.

Pam B.
on 9/3/11 8:30 am
i had an ECG done but the internist was surprised that I did.  Not sure why. thanks for the info.
Most Active