Maybe I'm being over-sensitive...

trudylam
on 8/31/11 3:23 am - Sudbury, Canada
I am 3 months out, 72 pounds down.  I am feeling great, looking good and I am more active.  I went out this morning to run some errands and I noticed for the first time that people are treating me differently.  Strangers are complimenting my nail polish or my rings, or my shoes and just generally looking me in the eye more.  They are being more friendly and interested in me.  I am generally a friendly person and usually will spark up a conversation with just about anyone.  For the first time today, I noticed that people were trying to spark up conversations with me.  Maybe it's just the universe trying to tell me that I'm worth taking the time to talk to.  If that's the case, I think I'll listen :) 

Has anyone else noticed this kind of social shift after wls?

on_my_way2011
on 8/31/11 3:29 am - Canada
That kind of change in attitude is actually one of my fears.  I am afraid that I will be thinking, "you wouldn't give me the time of day while I was 300 pounds...I'm still the same person now"   I think I am worth taking the time to talk to now before I have lost the weight...

Probably the biggest issue I forsee...talked at length with the sw about this very issue

Tracy

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

Monica M.
on 8/31/11 4:32 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
I thought i might have that issue too, Tracy, particularly the "omg i didnt even recognize you" comments. I'm trying to take everything in a positive light, and imagining that even the most insensitive comments are meant well (tho, truthfully, there havent been many).

What i'm getting a lot of these days is "where'd the otherr half of you go?" Trying to find a witty answer for that one.

Sher1ock
on 8/31/11 5:11 am - Canada
How about "I don't know...one minute she was behind me and now she's gone"

Monica M.
on 8/31/11 5:39 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
that's funny, totally using that next time!!

laura S.
on 8/31/11 3:51 am - London, Canada
I wonder how much is due to the change in your appearance and how much is the change in your attitude and the positive self confidence you are putting out there now.  I know even the way I walk is different since I've lost this 90 lbs.  (Still have a long way to go, but feeling good so far!)I used to walk with my head down and not really look at people whereas now I will smile and say hi to people and am much more likely to chat with people while waiting in line with me, etc. now than I was before.  I'm sure than makes me much more approachable than I was in the past?

Just a thought!

Laura

Monica M.
on 8/31/11 4:30 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

Today, i totally got an 'up and down' look from a guy, and i don't think i was imagining it.

It could be people taking more notice of you, or you giving off an "I"m worth looking at and talking to" kind of vibe and them responding to it.

StevesGal
on 8/31/11 4:34 am - Hamilton, Canada
I have to agree with Laura.  The better you feel about yourself, the more positive your 'aura' is to others.  I've always been outgoing and carried myself the same (this is who I am, take it or leave it), so I've never really had an issue with talking to (or being spoken to by) others.  But that's me.  If you're finding this is happening, I would chalk it up to a more positive you!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Mariann M.
on 8/31/11 4:57 am - Washago , Canada
This is something I often talk to my husband about, because frankly, it freaks me out a little. Ever since I lost the weight I have really noticed that people look me in the eye more and yes, they do start up conversations more than they ever did before.
I also have many people in the day just smile and say hello, this kinda drives me nuts when I am trying to run into a store qwickly and have to smile and say hello to them.
On the other hand I think it's nice to finally have people take notice that I am a person and yes I am standing infront of you, I was ignored for so long as a larger person. It's something that we have to get used to but yes, I do feel that there is a difference in the public eye regarding weight and I hate to say it.          

Sher1ock
on 8/31/11 5:14 am - Canada
I agree that it is probably a combination of things.  Yes, some people are engaging you that might not of before strictly based on your size.  You are probably also not trying so hard to be invisible, be it through my posture, my clothes, my downcast eyes or my mumbled "sorry" every time I bumped into someone as I tried to squeeze past them.  I spent so many years doing the ostrich thing (hiding my head) that I am sure I missed all sorts of opportunities to interact with people.

Most Active
Recent Topics