Another thread about tattoos....got questions

Marny B.
on 8/22/11 1:00 pm - Canada
For those of you who have had tattoos done, how did you choose your shop, and how did you know if it was clean and reputable.  I am looking for a good, safe, and clean place to have one done in the south  Mississauga, or Oakville area.  There is one in Port Credit, near me and their website looks great, but I am wondering if by chance anyone has heard of it?  It is called "Artistic Integrity Tattoos and Body Piercing".  Anyone have any suggestions for a great place in and around this area?

BTW:  I am pretty sure I will have a wrist tattoo (the underside) and it will be a verse that is significant to both my faith and my WL journey.  I am not sure if I will put the whole verse, part of the verse (due to space issues), or just the citation, but here it is:

Philippians 3:13-14 

"... Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize..."

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

Elisabeth G.
on 8/22/11 1:16 pm, edited 8/22/11 1:17 pm - Windsor, Canada
 Not sure if it is still there but Way Cool in Oakville on Lakreshore around Kerr its been a few years since we have been there both my husband and I got piercings done there
edited to say my husband just looked up way cool and they are still at lakeshore and kerr
I got a tattoo done at Mallific in Streetsville and was very happy with the shop
Hopefully those two options give you some ideas both places usually have long wiats for appointments but they do very good quality work

ericaFG
on 8/22/11 1:19 pm - Cambridge, Canada
I asked around and found people who had been to local places and made sure to take a good look at their tattos.  If you like writing - find someone who had writing and check out what it looks like.  All artists have different strengths.

I used Lucky Souls in Cambridge - Angela.  She's great at flowers and "girly" tattoos.  I love mine.  ;0)

Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

stewartjackie
on 8/22/11 1:33 pm - Pickering, Canada
 hi, that is really beautiful, I like the way it comes right down onto your foot!

joanne_1970
on 8/22/11 1:58 pm - Harriston, Canada
I agree with the previous post ask around don't just go by website.
I have a symbol inside wrist same area as you and I thought my piercings hurt worse if it helps any.  I went to someone I had seen only a few tats he had done and thought he was good and not as long a wait as some places and now I wish I had checked around more.  Had to have it touched up within weeks and its still not great.
BTW love the flower up your leg, I know I will be getting more and thought of doing something like that

Karen M.
on 8/22/11 10:45 pm, edited 8/22/11 10:46 pm - Mississauga, Canada
I"ve heard good things about that one, Marny. Let me ask my brother and Jesse and get back to you. I've been wanting one for soooo long now too!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Monica M.
on 8/22/11 10:58 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
they should have samples (pictures) of their work that you can see. Make sure you check the spelling, and have someone else you trust check the spelling, and then ask a stranger on the street to check the spelling. I've seen too many pictures of tattoos that are spelled wrong, and the person says 'but i checked it twice'. That would drive me crazy, to have something spelled wrong on my body.

Ask Dollface if she knows anything about that place, she's a tattoo chick.

You can tell the cleanliness of most tattoo shops, just by looking. Ask about their infection control procedures. They shouldnt be offended by a question like that.

They should have a routine that they go through to make sure their tattoo  areas are clean. The beds and chairs should be wiped down between customers.

Tattoo needles are single use items, they're disposed of after each use. The thingie that holds the needle is usually covered with plastic.  The little cups that they put the ink in are also single use. THe artists wear gloves, and anything they touch (i.e. a water bottle) is usually covered in a clean plastic cover, (single use).

And the inside of the wrist hurts like a ***** lol

izzyw13
on 8/22/11 11:03 pm - Mississauga Ontario, Canada

I had my first one done up north, not knowing much about the process I just walked into a shop and had it done...I was not happy with it, so I went into the shop in Port Credit,( at the time I only lived 2 blocks from it.) .they were fairly new at the time. I believe the guys name is Ian, I explained what I originally wanted, he drew on the corrections and fixed up the lines and color on my tattoo... It is now great and I love it...
I now have 4 tattoos, each one was done somewhere different, only because of cir****tances ...I would have no issues rerturning to Artistic Integrity for one...
Hope this helps and good luck..

Isobel....
isobelsmall.gif picture by lynnca1972

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 11:07 pm, edited 8/22/11 11:08 pm - Canada
My recommendation is to do the following:

1) Go to a clean looking and smelling shop, ask to see their health inspection reports.

and, most importantly

2) Talk to the artists and ask to see their portfolios.  You are going to spend time talking and being around this person, so you'd better be able to have an enjoyable conversation with them.  You are also going to have this piece of artwork on your body permanently, so you'd better like their artistic style and touch!

I'm glad you have chosen something personal and not accepted the standard flash.  Again, getting a tattoo is something that you carry with you forever, so you'd better be sure it's what you want...I have several tattoos and one of them is going to be covered by my new celebratory tattoo as it no longer represents where I'm at in my life...
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 11:20 pm - Guelph, Canada
 it all depends on the local by-laws if they have to be licenced or not... BUT i would ask to see their autoclave and the service record for it

look and see.. are they wearing gloves?... do they change their gloves when they stop?.. or will they be working with you and then go answer the phone and then come back and work again or is there glove changes in the middle?

are they using NEW needles everytime or do they run them through the autoclave?.. in this case make sure you see the paperwork on the servicing of it.. it should be serviced once a month.

whats their touch up policy?.. everyone will need a touch up from time to time... your body will take inks differently in different spots.. my leg didnt need one but my wrist did.. 

it should smell clean... you should be able to smell the antiseptic in the air.. (unless its earlly and they have not started working for the day) 
Most Active