The Toronto Zoo kicked my ass!

trudylam
on 8/22/11 1:28 pm - Sudbury, Canada
Today we took the kids to the zoo for their first time.  It has been almost 20 years since I have been there.  It was an awesome day but holy crap, my legs are KILLING ME!!  It was too much walking and I was worried about that but I thought I could do it.  Now I am stuck here in my bed because now that I have stopped moving I am not getting back up again! LOL Please tell me that the time will come when I can walk an amusement park/zoo/mall without becoming crippled later! LOL  On the bright side I probably shed a few pounds today ;-)
Sher1ock
on 8/22/11 1:39 pm - Canada
It will get better, but also keep in mind that a day at the zoo or amusement park, or anything else like that will kick almost anyone in the ass, not just a wls patient. Don't despair. Take a hot bath and soa****il you have enough mobility to pat yourself on the back!

Aelfwynn
on 8/22/11 3:24 pm - Canada
Went to the zoo last week for a couple of hours and it totally hobbled me! My legs still hurt a week later. And it poured on us, so I really regretted going!
ToNewBeginnings
on 8/22/11 8:37 pm
I've never been there but I've heard the T.O. zoo is huge! I think anyone would be tired after walking around that place. Although you are feeling it, you went and did it.  
Megan M.
on 8/22/11 9:51 pm - Canada
I'll bet you will find that your recovery from  said ass-kickiing will be faster than before.  That's what I found recently when I did two major walks in two days.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Tabetha A.
on 8/22/11 10:30 pm - Ajax, Canada
 If it's any consolation... the Toronto Zoo is a beast!  All those hills. It even tires me out and I'm a pretty fit!  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monica M.
on 8/22/11 10:36 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
you should have started iwth the Elmvale Zoo. lol

That zoo can kick anyone's ass, and still be ready to kick some more.

It will come, Trudy. Don't forget, too, at this stage, you're probably  taking in way less calories than your body takes to function, so a big excursion like that is going to take its toll on you.

Don't forget, when you're doing things like that, to drink lots of water (helps your muscles keep hydrated) and eat well, and fairly frequently.Take a hot bath with epsom salts, that'll help your muscles get moving again. And drink lots of water today.

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 11:10 pm - Guelph, Canada
 I was at the zoo on Saturday and after 5 hours and 12+k I will admit it kicked my ass too... no worries
trudylam
on 8/23/11 12:10 am - Sudbury, Canada
Thanks everyone!  After a good sleep I am feeling better today.  You guys are right, that place is monstrous and pushing 2 kids in one of those double strollers up the hills was torture.  But it was worth it in the end.  The hot bath helped but I'm still feeling it today.  Next time I am taking that zoo train to the different areas because going up to the African section is just awful.  Sadly the train was shut down because there was an emergency in Africa and the ambulance needed to get in.  Someone probably had a heart attack walking up that dang hill!  But we got some good pictures and great memories!  It was worth it in the end! :)

aprilbennett1965
on 8/23/11 5:01 am - Canada
I remember many years ago taking my kids there for the first time. It was like the entire place was uphill. I thought I was gonna die. I think it was the hardest walk I had ever done I told my husband when we got to the last exhibit they had dang well better have a slide that brings us back to the parking lol.
Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

Most Active
Recent Topics