st joes people, how much $ did you need?

MrsJButler
on 8/21/11 8:15 am - Canada
Hey everyone Im going to meet the surgeon on wednesday and I need to know how much you spent with the Opti and whatever else I will need...im going thru st joes in Hamilton so if anyone could give me a heads up id be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! 

Refferal Sent-Dec 15th 2010 SURGERY DAY-OCTOBER 19TH 2011 Contact me at https://www.facebook.com/groups/234277683300118/ if you are going through St. Joes Hamilton and I'll hook you up with our AMAZING Hamilton only private Facebook group :)

trudylam
on 8/21/11 8:21 am, edited 8/21/11 8:23 am - Sudbury, Canada
You can count on approx $100/week of optifast, plus about $300 for prescriptions.  You don't need those until post op really, so you don't HAVE to get those that day.  Just submit the prescription and they will keep it on file until you are discharged.  You can get someone to go down and pick them up for you.  The tinzaparin alone was about $150, plus you will get a script for prevacid and liquid codeine.  Oh ya, you will have to get the 2 vitamin K doses for pre-op and it was about $50 for the 2 doses if I remember correctly.  Hope that helps. :)  Best of luck to you.

ETA:  You can estimate the optifast with your weight, if you are under 300lbs it's 2 weeks, between 300lbs and 400lbs it's 3 weeks, anything over 400 is usually 4 weeks.  

Tanya T.
on 8/21/11 8:57 am
Your Optifast for 2 weeks is about $200.00.  If you or your husband have a drug plan all the rest is covered under your drug plan what ever % your are covered.  I didn't get the liquid codeine prescription from the doctor until I left the hospital so I filled it at my own drug store.

Tanya

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/11 9:33 am - Guelph, Canada
 PHEW I am glad you posted that.. I just about crapped at the other drug coats.. but we have a drug plan... 
StevesGal
on 8/21/11 12:25 pm - Hamilton, Canada
Actually, the Optifast is not done by weight, but by the size of your liver.  It's meant to shrink your liver prior to surgery.  The bigger your liver, the longer your on it.  My start weight was 336, and I did 2 weeks of OF.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

trudylam
on 8/21/11 12:35 pm - Sudbury, Canada
When I met with Dr. Hong he told me that weight determined the length of time on optifast under most cir****tances.  Ultimately it's up to the surgeon but it's a good rule of thumb to keep in mind when anticipating the length of time one might be on optifast.
trudylam
on 8/21/11 9:59 am - Sudbury, Canada
Sorry, I just figured that it was pretty self explanitory if you have a drug plan that the drugs are covered.  My bad.... The drugs can also be covered if you fill out hardship papers with the nurse if your income isn't sufficient.  Good luck. :)
Heidi S.
on 8/21/11 10:33 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Thank you for posting this question. I'm sure there are many that are curious as to what needs to be purchased and the amount it costs.

All the Best on your journey
Heidi

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

clemaruth
on 8/21/11 10:46 am - Belleville, Canada
I was wondering the same thing for St. Joesph's in Toronto. I know my opti is $300, but not sure on what else will be needed after surgery. I know I won"t be having codeine as it has strange effects on me, I don't sleep for days after taking it. Thanks
thunderwoman
on 8/22/11 10:22 am - Canada
I too am allergic to codeine and endedup with a different prescription . i ended up with oxycontin for about 7 to 10 days worth and did not use all of them.

Most Active
Recent Topics