It kind of confuses me.....

pinkjellybean
on 8/10/11 11:03 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
I get confused by the different protocol followed by each of the hospitals and I know I shouldn't be thinking about the procedures of other hospitals but I am a worrier by nature so I'm not surprised really. 

How is it that after a brief history with the nurse (and she was quite wonderful...this is not a complaint about her but rather just me trying to ease my anxiety) - that they can determine that I am healthy for surgery without investigating anything else...no abdominal ultrasound, no scope, no sleep study....and she said the blood work from my doctor back in January was acceptable and I didn't need to do it again for her.  She listened to my heart and did my blood pressure but quite frankly I don't understand how it can be so different from hospital to hospital......most of you have these tests as a regular part of your hospital program - shouldn't the protocol at each hospital be the same?

What if something is going on in there that I'm not aware of that could make surgery risky? 

I'm nervous as it is about surgery but I was assured by the fact that I thought the hospital would do an indepth analysis of my health before approving me.....

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

JJ_
on 8/10/11 11:31 am
Do not forget that the doctor that refers you to the Bariatric Registry needs to fill out a form outlining your health and any issues.  This is generally a doctor that has known you for a while.  Therefore, I would estimate that you have been doing great...other than your current BMI, or any issues you have have been stable.

The only other test I have been sent for was an ECG, other than the bloodwork.  I am over 50 so the ECG is required, plus I am diabetic, which may place extra stress on the heart.

Good luck in your journey and stop stressing.....
pinkjellybean
on 8/10/11 11:48 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
Haha...wouldn't it be great if  everyone could stop stressing? 

That would be my biggest dream!  To have no stress!! 

Thanks for responding : )

sam1am
on 8/10/11 12:03 pm
You look very young so that is probably a factor.  Being young and if you don't have a history of problems, you are probably very low risk.  If there's anything that you are concerned about pre surgery, maybe you could ask your family Doctor to refer you for tests?

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

PatXYZ
on 8/10/11 1:02 pm
I did a sleep test, but only because I have several of the risk factors (thick neck, snoring, etc), and so far for me nothing else is needed. If you're negative for h.pylori and don't have any ulcer symptoms or serious GERD symptoms, it is a waste of time to bother with a scope. Blood tests within the past year are usually fine for a generally healthy person because it would be unlikely to see any big swings in the absence of other symptoms. Unless you have a history of heart problems an EKG is unneeded, ditto for an abdominal ultrasound in the absence of symptoms or problematic history.

TWH is yet to have a death in their bariatric program - I promise you they aren't compromising your health :)
pinkjellybean
on 8/10/11 10:14 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
That all makes sense Trish...thanks : )

I'm just a little bit of a worry wart sometimes - I want to make sure my body has a shiny green light before going into surgery.  Hahah.

mamaty
on 8/10/11 9:05 pm
When I went for my PATs I was all geared up for needles and blood work but I didn't have any of it. Just the appts with the surgeon, nurse, heart monitor, and the anesthesia doc. Then I was done...I'm assuming because I'm still a fairly healthy, young girl....just chubby lol..

I would assume the same for you because your first woodwork looked good
pinkjellybean
on 8/10/11 10:15 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
Thanks Everyone : )

I'm not THAT young...LOL  Oh what I would do to have my youth back.

Monica M.
on 8/10/11 10:48 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
lol. i think i'm getting my youth back. My co-workers tease me because of all the new things i'm trying (running, rollerskating [not yet, but i'm going to try out for a roller derby boot camp]). I tell them i'm in my second adolescence!

while i'm still old (just turned 47), i feel better than i did when i was 30. I have so much more energy, i love the face that looks back at me in the mirror.

I don't care about all the waiting and all the inconsistencies i experienced before and after surgery. All i care about are the results.  And they're freaking awesome!!!

Dollface-1981
on 8/10/11 11:43 pm - Newmarket, Canada
Roller Derby Boot Camp????  That sounds like soooo much fun!!!!!  Hopefully by this time next year Ill be on my way to doing that!!!!!

Find me on facebook here:  
http://www.facebook.com/DollFace81

Most Active