plastic surgery advice

Pam B.
on 8/10/11 3:51 am
I am from hamilton and am waiting to get my surgery date.  But I was wondering if anyone knows if plastic surgery to remove excess skin is covered by OHIP or do I have to start saving my loonies and toonies to pay for it myself?

Thanks!
  Pam
         Referral Sent: February 2011   Surgery Date: November 2, 2011 by the fantabulous Dr. Gmora!!!    
(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 4:18 am - Canada
Certain plastic surgeries are covered by OHIP if it can be medically shown to be required.

Post weight-loss surgery corrections possibly approved are:
- panniculectomy (removal of skin apron around the waist)
- breast reduction

Requirements for OHIP to cover this are:
1)  You've lost over 100lbs
2)  The excess skin interferes with activities of daily living (ie hangs down and affects hygiene)
3)  There is a medically documented history of skin issues, breakdowns, lesions, infections, etc.  (As in your doctor has treated you for lesions, wounds, infections, etc. resulting from the excess skin).

Tummy tucks (where they tighten the muscles after removing the excess skin), arms and legs are not covered, so if you need that skin tightened, start saving your pennies if you want those done.  You can also do exercises and treat your skin to a) tone the muscles and b) attempt to help the skin regain elasticity, however how these methods work depend on the condition of your skin and how long it has remained stretched.  If you have stretch marks around your problem areas, there will be less chance of things springing back...
Pam B.
on 8/10/11 4:43 am
thanks for the info Myke!
  Pam
         Referral Sent: February 2011   Surgery Date: November 2, 2011 by the fantabulous Dr. Gmora!!!    
Bonnie ABC
on 8/10/11 7:04 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
I still do not believe #1.   Is that documented somewhere?  

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 5:22 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I don't believe part 1 either Bonnie.  I know a man that had the panni removed a year ago that had never lost an ounce.  He was huge and his stomach sagged so much that he had a hard time even walking and OHIP paid to have the panni removed.
Bonnie ABC
on 8/11/11 6:12 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
I just don't believe it.  I just don't.   I cannot see OHIP paying for anything but necessary work.   I think if you want your breasts to be fuller, your arms to be done, hate your thighs, , think you might want to save some pennies, OHIP just isn't going there.  For a moment think of all of us, and all the pounds lost, OHIP couldn't afford it.   And really, I am grateful they paid for my RNY, after that, I paid my own way.

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
slim115
on 8/11/11 5:00 am - peterborough, Canada
Myke

What about gynecomastia(man boobs)...is it covered?

spence
french_chick
on 8/10/11 10:04 am - Toronto, Canada
This issue was raised at my orientation in July and the lady said that the government is looking into plastic surgery. No details were available. I would certainly start savings your loonies and toonies. I am starting and do not have a surgery date yet. It certainly would not hurt.

The surest way not to fail is to determine to succeed - R.B. Sheridan

JennR
on 8/10/11 10:20 am
When I was at St. Joes on tuesday there were a couple of people talking about this and the woman had it done and said that #1 was a part of the criteria. I had heard that you have to have kept the weight off for a significant length of time but I'm not sure about that.

Most Active
Recent Topics