How long does this hair falling out thing last??? grrrr

prdmomof3
on 7/19/11 6:27 pm - Canada
OMG if I lose anymore hair I am gonna be bald soon!....thank god I have to wear a hairnet at work or people would be eating my hair daily...

How long does this last? I know everyone is different but what is an average time??

Michelle..who will soon have to buy a wig!!..maybe I will go blonde! lol

Bonnie ABC
on 7/19/11 7:19 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
It's only hair, and promise, it will grow back.  Hair has three month cycles, and your will slow down, then you'll notice it growing back.   Everyone is different, so telling you mine lasted 72 days or whatever, has no bearing on what your body will do.   This is worth it, just remember that.

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
JJ_
on 7/19/11 9:00 pm
Hiya,

Here is an article on WLS and hairloss:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/Healthy-Hair-and-Skin-Through-Qut-Weight-Loss.html

Healthy Hair and Skin Throughout Weight Loss

by Christine Gerbstadt, MD, RD

Ever had a “bad hair day"? How about a “bad hair year"? Long or short, dark or light, straight or curly, our hair plays a major role in defining how the world sees us and how we feel about ourselves. Hair loss can completely devastate a person’s ability to enjoy social and work activities due to embarrassment and shame, and hats and wigs often seem to be poor substitutes for natural hair. Luxurious, thick hair in a shampoo advertisement may lead some people to think that what you put on your hair makes the difference, but if you are suffering from hair loss or shedding, the solution is just not that simple!

There are many factors that lead to hair loss, and although the science is still incomplete, much of what we do know comes from studies in protein-energy malnutrition, starvation, and eating disorders. In otherwise healthy individuals, nutritional factors appear to play a role in hair shedding. Forty years ago, a scientist named Hård demonstrated the importance of iron supplements in women who were not anemic, but had iron-deficiency with hair loss. A different iron-related test, called serum ferritin, was shown to be a factor in female hair loss. The essential amino acid l-lysine also appears to be important in hair loss. A significant proportion of women with increased hair shedding responded to l-lysine and iron therapy in a study.

Don’t rush out to buy supplements just yet, because excessive intakes of nutritional supplements may actually cause hair loss, and they are not recommended in the absence of a proven deficiency. Your bariatric surgeon, as well as doctors specializing in hair retention, such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon, can help determine your individual needs and prescribe treatment. Making your own diagnosis and treatment may only worsen your situation.

Nutritional factors affect the hair directly, but they also affect the skin. If you have hair loss, your care providers should help you eliminate scaling problems, provide good hair care advice and fully explain the hair cycle. Why? Because sometimes what seems reasonable isn’t quite right. For instance, many people shampoo less frequently due to fear of losing more hair, but this increases the amount of hair loss seen in subsequent shampoos, whi*****reases fears of hair loss. In fact, increasing blood flow to the scalp by shampooing hair with scalp massage can support and stimulate new hair growth.

Bobby Caliro, a Master stylist and owner of Salon Excel in Sarasota, Florida, reports that in his more than 25 years’ experience he can tell when a client has had surgery or weight loss by changes in the hair volume and texture long before the client tells him. Caliro says that increased dryness and shedding is very common, especially if weight loss has been rapid or clients have recently had anesthesia. “I think of the hair as a direct reflection of what is going on inside the body, and if you think about how weight loss occurs with less food intake, there just has to be less nutrition to support healthy hair growth during weight loss." He reassures clients that when their weight stabilizes, the hair amount and texture will improve nearly every time. The problem is that people don’t consider how slowly the hair really grows. “People get desperate and want to try anything they think will help," says Caliro.

Dr. Robert Hillstrom, a Facial Plastic Surgeon in Sarasota, Florida, says that patients notice changes in hair and skin after surgery. “Explaining the hair growth cycle to show how much time it will take for re-growth of hair usually helps reassure patients when they have hair reduction after surgery." He says that in six month’s time, nearly all hair concerns have resolved by just waiting, and that it is rare that more has to be done.

Morbidly obese individuals often have nutritional deficiencies, particularly in fat-soluble vitamins, folic acid and zinc. After bariatric surgery, these deficiencies may increase and others may appear. Most surgeons, however, monitor postoperative blood work to prevent and treat problems early. With follow-up by your surgeon and a registered dietitian, dietary deficiencies can be corrected. The best thing you can do on your own is to simply follow your doctor’s specific healthy diet and activity instructions while achieving your goal weight.

When bariatric surgery is not a factor, a healthy diet of lean proteins, moderate heart-healthy fats from vegetable oils, plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains and skim dairy products will ensure you meet your nutritional goals each day to achieve healthy skin and hair. If you have recently lost weight, or are still losing, your calorie level may be low, but the nutrient levels can remain high with nutrient-rich food choices. A multivitamin supplement can also help balance nutrition for healthy hair and skin.

Whatever your situation, with careful planning, treatment and time, skin and hair problems can be overcome!

Christine Gerbstadt, MD, RD, (
[email protected]) is a Registered Dietitian and a Board Certified Medical Doctor with residency training at Harvard University. She is President of NutronicsTM nutrition consulting firm.

Monica M.
on 7/19/11 10:31 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
my hair started falling out at abotu 3 months, and i think (hope?) it's slowing down now, at abuot 5 months

3littlepigs
on 7/19/11 11:23 pm
Mine started falling out around the 3 month mark and is now slowing down.  Maybe it's because I don't have much to lose now :(  Anyhoo, it is just hair and I do have a bunch of baby sprouts coming back.  Thank god it's slowing down because my kids are tired or eating everything a la mode with mommy's hair...still loving my RNY.
Donna
ready2begin
on 7/20/11 3:28 am - Kitchener, Canada
I've always had thick hair and mine started falling out around the 4 mth mark. I started taking 5000mg of Biotin each day (my NUT said it was fine) even though I knew it wouldn't prevent it from falling out, but would help with the regrowth. I had decided not to sweat it but after 2.5 mths of losing COPIOUS amounts, I started to panic. It got pretty thin, but eventually evened out and stopped. Now, a month later, my hair is pretty much back to being full and thick. This too shall pass......good luck!
Cheryl D. is my 
Mary A.
on 7/20/11 5:00 am
mine began falling out at about 8m months for about 4 months or so and then pretty much halted...I do believe that it still falls out a bit more than it did prior to surgery..but nothing that would have me running to the wig store...LOL

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

ladydi1234
on 7/20/11 12:02 pm - Canada

My hair started falling out about a month ago and I am at month 5- hair here, hair there..hair hair everywhere..It is worth it ... lol

SURGERY DATE                  MARCH 11 2011               
Just let me get through one more day!

Most Active