poached eggs????

Dollface-1981
on 6/26/11 10:38 pm - Newmarket, Canada
 i tried to make a poached egg this morning for the first time and failed miserably!
Does anyone know of an easy foolproof way to make one?

Find me on facebook here:  
http://www.facebook.com/DollFace81

samtq
on 6/26/11 10:40 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 I am not good at poaching but what I do is start to fry it in a non stick pan with Pam, then once the edges start to cook and it holds its shape I toss in a splash of water and then cover it.  Kind of a fry/poach.
“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.? --John “the Penguin? Bingham 
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. ~ Nelson Mandela

HW: 247.5/SW: 228.5/CW:135/ My GW: 140/SGW: 151
Patti K.
on 6/26/11 10:44 pm - Kingston On, Canada
Dollface...if you don't have a container to "contain" the egg, boil water, and crack your egg into it, it will go all over, but will come together....and boil for a couple of minutes...when you poach eggs they need steam/water....good luck...Patti K.

Gabygee
on 6/26/11 10:48 pm - Canada
2 ways work for me:

1) I bought a 2-egg poacher for the mircowave at the dollar store.
I put 1/2 tsp of water in the bottom of the well, break the egg into it, and puncture the yolk with a fork.
On high for 1 minute - done.

2) In a small saucepan, 1/2 cup water - bring to a rolling boil
Add 1 tsp vinegar
Break you egg into a teacup or measuring cup (main thing it has a handle and you can pour easily)
Pour the gg into the boiling water and "lop" the edges in with a fork.
Boil 1 minute, remove from water with a slotted spoon.

mrbugman
on 6/26/11 11:04 pm - North Bay, Canada
I bought silicone egg poachers from a local restaurant supply place but have also seen them on Amazon.

They work great.........................Bill

on_my_way2011
on 6/26/11 11:05 pm - Canada
I actually put my egg in just before the water starts to boil hard.  I find the egg just separates too much if the water is boiling rapidly.  I also add a splash of vinegar to the water.  My grandpa has had a poached egg for breakfast every day since childhood (except the years in the war!) and he swears the trick is to take the egg out the night before so it is room temperature.  I try when I plan that far ahead and it does seem to make a difference.

Tracy

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

Monica M.
on 6/26/11 11:09 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
i've always used something to contain the egg, either a poaching thing, you can find them at winners, or at walmart, i'm sure. I've never been able to do it by just cracking it into boiling water. Or you can just sort of poach it in the frying pan, like someone else said. That'll work just fine.

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/11 11:29 pm, edited 6/26/11 11:30 pm - Canada
My mom used to make the best poached eggs. She used to poach them in tomato sauce.

I use a ramikin to hold the egg together. I spray it with Pam, crack in the egg and place the ramikin in the pot of water. The water comes half way up the side of the ramikin dish. Put a lid on the pot to keep the steam in and it cooks the egg evenly.

ETA: if you try this method, be sure to put a tea towel in the pan at the bottom so that the ramikin doesn't sit directly on the pot & heating element. I'm always worried about it cracking from the heat.
KristieA
on 6/26/11 11:30 pm - Orillia, Canada
Hey Amy. I have been 'upping' the protein in my eggs by putting a but of shredded lite mozzerella cheese in the bottom of a non-stick pan (1/2-1 oz) and then letting it melt a bit. Then I crack the egg over the cheese. With the oils in the cheese you don't even need butter or spray to make it not stick. If you like crusty cheese you can alway fry the cheese a bit longer before you put your egg in.

My son even likes it this way.

For poaching I use a container for the microwave. I find it easier.

Hope all is well,
Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Karen M.
on 6/26/11 11:42 pm - Mississauga, Canada
I do something like that, except in the oven/toaster oven.  I use a disposable aluminum muffin cup, add cheese and crack the egg into it.  Then I bake it.   Delicious! 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active