Hungry so soon.

trudylam
on 6/10/11 2:17 am - Sudbury, Canada
I am 12 days post-op and my stomach is growling.  I know that's not physically possible but that's what it feels like.  Is it possible to be hungry so soon out?  It worries me because I don't even start pureed food for 2 weeks and and I don't want to be hungry until I can have something more substantial than liquid.  How do you handle it?

sueberman
on 6/10/11 2:28 am
I just drank more water.  I have horrible rumblings, actually audible from a distance, but they're not coming from the stomach lol.  Enough said.

Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

happypants
on 6/10/11 4:05 am - Ottawa, Canada
lol  @ Sue

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

debralight
on 6/10/11 2:41 am - Canada
sip sip sip :)

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Quinns_mommy
on 6/10/11 2:54 am
Hi Trudy. I started to get REAL tummy hunger at about 12 days out also. Before purees/soft solids, I would do yogurt to help with that. Now, if I haven't eaten, I feel hungry in my pouch. I know it's not head hunger because I am perfectly happy eating healthy foods to fill up. Water doesn't do it for me when I'm actually HUNGRY. Decaf coffee with milk usually works unless it's actually mealtime, then I need to eat something. The great thing about RYN (so far) is that it doesn't take much to fill you up. Just make wise food choices and you'll do fine!

I think it's a myth that you wont ever feel hungry after surgery - I do, and have spoken to many who have also felt hungry very early on. Some people probably don't I imagine.

I'm 1 month out on Monday :)

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
kikislove2
on 6/10/11 4:34 am

I'm two months out and have yet to feel any hunger pangs are stomach growling. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I need to eat. So everyone is different with that. The first thing I would do is make sure it is actual hunger and not gas, because the gas was soooo bad when I was out of surgery that everyone in the room could hear my stomach rumbling. But if it's hunger, then I would do a couple of sips of protein drink, like Isopure. It's so easy to get full that early out of surgery, that it should take the growling right away. It's gonna be really hard to get all of your protein in per day, so anytime you can get it, that is what you should do, because you belly is going to fill up almost instantly.

flyingwoman
on 6/10/11 6:29 am
Are you actually hungry, or is it just making noise?

My pouch is a noisy little thing. It gurgles, growls, burbles and occasionally makes little birdlike noises. I think that's a pretty common state, given these boards.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
gigglesAlot
on 6/10/11 11:22 am
I'm wondering if you have excess acid.  I thought that I was hungry too but it ended up being my GERD.  I had to get some stronger meds to combat that for a few months.

Barb
Out of HEARTACHE . . . . comes JOY!!!    
Referring Weight - 256lbs
Dietician Weight In - 253lbs
Starting Optifast Weight - 250lbs
Surgery Day Weight - 240lbs
Current Weight - 171 lbs

My Angel with Wings. . . and My Earth Angel . . . .is Sandi, who's. . . . . .going2Bthin!! 
Robyn E.
on 6/10/11 1:09 pm - Midland, Canada
 I was about 2 weeks out when I started feeling hungry. It wasn't a massive.... I GOTTA EAT MAN GET OUT OF MY WAY!! It was just a little hungry lol. What I found though was if I ate a tablespoon of applesauce ( I did a tablespoon of greek yogurt too sometimes), something still very soft but only a tiny bit and then sipped with it, it helped, like psyching your pouch out. If you dont want to do something like that then as everyone else sugests... sip sip sip.

As for the sounds... OMG sounds like a full on tank battle goin on inside me from my pouch alllll the way down. Nuff said 
Robyn E. 
Referral August 6, '10 -- Info Session Oct 27, '10 -- 1st Surgeons Appt Nov 17, '10 -- Internist, Nut, SW Jan 5, '11 -- 2nd Nut, SW, Surgeon Appt Mar 3, '11 -- Surgery Date Mar 24th '11

Karen W.
on 6/10/11 10:52 pm - Canada
I also started having hunger in my second week out.  I did the same things suggested by others.  The most effective things for me were to have a protein shake, a tablespoon or two of Greek yogurt, or some applesauce with a bit of Beneprotein added.

I'm 8 weeks out now and have hunger for 1-2 hours before every meal.  I'm trying to increase my protein intake and occasionally have a very small snack between meals now. 

Good luck.  I'm sure that you will learn to manage your hunger!

RNY April 11, 2011       

Most Active
Recent Topics