Optifast

Lisa_L_whitby
on 6/3/11 12:21 pm - Bolsover, Canada
Hello,

I have meet with the surgeon and been told that I will be taking Optifast for 14 days prior to my surgery. Does anyone have any ways to prepare it so I can change it up abit .

Thanks
Lisa

Orientation at TWH: March 30, 2011                 Appt w/Nurse: May 11, 2011     
Appt w/Social Worker: May 25, 2011                Nutrition Class: May 31, 2011
Appt w/ Dietitian: June 2, 2011                           Appt w/Psychiatrist: June 2, 2011
Meet with Surgeon: June 3, 2011                        Surgery Day: June 24, 2011 

mermaidoz
on 6/3/11 12:48 pm, edited 6/3/11 1:02 pm - Canada
This is one of the most frequently asked questions re Optifast. 

You can doctor it with SF Syrups by Torani and DaVinci, or Crystal Light powders, or add your own instant coffee powder, or flavourings such as the extracts made by Club House in  43 ml bottles (Baking section at any supermarket)....I've even read of people who had nothing at home except SF Jello powders, so they used that. Do .make sure you add lots of ice as the cold kills some of the obnoxious whey smell which some people find difficult to tolerate. drink immediately after preparing, do not mix and keep in fridge for several hours, it does not improve and may even "ferment" or something, making it awful to drink....use a mini blender such as a Magic Bullet if you caan, otherwise a shaker container to mix up powders with water if you are at your office (and can't discretely use a mini blender, or hand blender or immersion blender to mix your drink)
StevesGal
on 6/3/11 1:19 pm - Hamilton, Canada
I'm starting Optifast in a couple of weeks myself, so I've been gathering things to add to it as well.

Aside from what was said above, you can add decaf coffee (either instant crystals after the OF is mixed, or chilled premade liquid can be added) and some crushed ice.  Makes it taste like an Iced Capp from Timmy's (so I've heard).  Also, I've gotten some flavoured oils from Bulk Barn (LorAnn Oils).  They are at the checkouts and are very small bottles, but pack a punch so you don't need very much.  I've got Banana Cream and Butterscotch.  The Banana Cream and Choc OF sounds like heaven to me! (I hope.)

If you need a portable shaker, GNC has them on sale right now for $9.99 (reg. $12.99).  They have a wire whisk ball inside to break up the chunks, and you can drink right out of the shaker.

Good luck!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

teacherof4
on 6/3/11 11:47 pm
Mixing 1/2 vanilla and 1/2 chocolate - it is my favourite and I don't even mind drinking it!
June 14, 2011 - Surgery date                
Dollface-1981
on 6/4/11 12:59 am - Newmarket, Canada
lol once again teachero***** to it before me.. but just as well.. since she was the one who gave me the idea... half and half is the only way I can drink it... after 10 days .. four times a day .. with 9 more still to go...... its just easier to get it down.. than trying to pretty it up lol... now if i could just figure out the constipation part of it AHHHH!!!!

Find me on facebook here:  
http://www.facebook.com/DollFace81

Most Active