Putting your time on Optifast into perspective

StevesGal
on 5/28/11 4:08 am, edited 5/27/11 9:41 pm - Hamilton, Canada
This isn't directed at any one individual, so please don't take it that way.

I know it's crappy* (hence, "Opticrap") and you may want to commit a crime so that you'll get food in prison, or hide in the closet until it's all over, but I've come a realization that, for the short time we'll be on it (in addition to whatever extras your clinic allows) it's not that bad.

* Not everyone thinks it's crappy. Some actually like it!

And here's why:

Remember that BC couple who was lost in Nevada? Here's what she ate: A rescued Canadian woman who survived for seven weeks on water and trail mix ...

She didn't have anything to eat for SEVEN WEEKS bu****er and trail mix ... and she survived!! I think that puts it into perspective for me. If she can do it for 7 weeks, I can do it for 2 with more food than she had. How about you?

BWT: Her husband is still missing. Say a prayer for him, wherever he may be now.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/28/11 4:20 am - Windsor, Canada
Great attitude!!

But for those of you that are out there and struggling on it please don't beat yourself up over cheating.  I had a lady email me in tears recently because she cheated on Optifast and was crying because she was certain that this meant that she was a complete failure who did not deserve to have the surgery.  She actually said that she was going to call your surgeon because she clearly was a failure and if she couldn't handle this, she probably couldn't handle the requirements of surgery either.

I told her to calm down, regroup, pick herself up off the floor, and get back to her Opti-fantastic ways and she'd be fine.  She did and she went into surgery more than ready and prepared despite a moment of weakness.  That's the only part that I don't like - is that some people really struggle like that (mentally) just as they are preparing for big changes.

But your attitude can definitely help as you said.  After surgery, I resolved myself to never complain once and it really helped me. I cooked for my husband every day (he works in the summer while I'm off) except for the first two days out of surgery. I went to numerous parties with only a liquid shake in my hand. 

Your attitude is great - I think it is definitely a part of what makes you successful..  but I like also to make it known that slipping off the Optifast wagon is not the end of the world...you just want to hop back on so you are good to go for surgery. I *do* hope that over the next few years, Ontario rethinks Optifast though.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

StevesGal
on 5/28/11 4:24 am - Hamilton, Canada
Good point, Dawn.  One stumble does not a fall make.  Get back on that Opti-horse and ride it to the end!!   

OKNEE FE + 3
on 5/28/11 4:37 am
One of my biggest pet peeves is how negative people are about Optifast, and as a result how people who haven't even started it are anticipating the worst.  Here's my "experienced" take. . .Optifast is not that bad. . .yes its not a Mickey D's Triple thick shake, nor is it the "crap" some refer to it as.  My advice wait till your on it to form an opinion. . .you may be pleasantly surprised. . .those of you who have done it. . .knock off the negativity. . .your scaring the yungins

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/11 5:05 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I did opti for 5 weeks and loved it.  Meals are super easy and no thinking involved other than what flavour am I having for this meal.  90 percent of Optifast is attitude IMO.  If you go into it thinking it's horrible like some claim it is, then you will automatically find it awful.  If you go into it thinking it is doable then it is.  I missed doing the shakes after 5 weeks and some days I think it would just be easier to do 4  shakes per day than to have to plan healthy meals. I'm a person who loves to cook and gets tons of enjoyment from cooking but I welcomed the break for all those weeks to have mindless meals.  Embrace it and before you know it, the time is over and it's part of your past.
(deactivated member)
on 5/28/11 5:28 am, edited 5/28/11 5:30 am - Canada
I had no problems at all with Optifast, in fact I found that I enjoyed the taste. I added a lot of ice to it and it was sort of like a slushy. I was on it for 3 weeks, I had absolutely nothing else with it...no bouillon, no clear soups, nothing at all but Optifast 4 times a day. I guess it all depends on what you like to eat in the first place, the taste and consistency. No one knows how they will like it or not until they taste it. Some people add different flavors, I took mine straight chocolate. I was so happy to be finally getting my surgery, that I would have eaten cardboard and loved the taste of it...lol.
Freddy_Fender
on 5/28/11 8:18 am - Elginburg, Canada
On May 28, 2011 at 12:28 PM Pacific Time, Ottawa2020 wrote:
I had no problems at all with Optifast, in fact I found that I enjoyed the taste. I added a lot of ice to it and it was sort of like a slushy. I was on it for 3 weeks, I had absolutely nothing else with it...no bouillon, no clear soups, nothing at all but Optifast 4 times a day. I guess it all depends on what you like to eat in the first place, the taste and consistency. No one knows how they will like it or not until they taste it. Some people add different flavors, I took mine straight chocolate. I was so happy to be finally getting my surgery, that I would have eaten cardboard and loved the taste of it...lol.
I do it the same way as you, add lots of ice and make it a smoothy.
I enjoy the taste of it and look forward to my next one.

Regards
Freddy
Show strangers kindess....cause they may become friends    
StevesGal
on 5/28/11 5:35 am - Hamilton, Canada
I was so happy to be finally getting my surgery, that I would have eaten cardboard and loved the taste of it...lol.

That's exactly my thinking.  It's not for a lifetime, it's for a short time, but the results will last a lifetime (if you do all the post-surgical requirements right).  If I was told to eat tomatoes for the week before, even though I absolutely hate tomatoes, I'd choke them down with a smile on my face.  It's a means to an end ... and a new beginning.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

teacherof4
on 5/28/11 7:17 am
I am just ending my first week of optifast and I did expect the worst from all the stories I had heard and read on here, but I really like it. I mix half vanilla and half chocolate use ice and my Magic Bullet - I'm finding it rather tasty and I'm usually a bit disappointed when my cup is empty. It's all what you make of it...
June 14, 2011 - Surgery date                
Dollface-1981
on 5/30/11 5:31 am, edited 5/30/11 5:31 am - Newmarket, Canada
"I am just ending my first week of optifast and I did expect the worst from all the stories I had heard and read on here, but I really like it. I mix half vanilla and half chocolate use ice and my Magic Bullet - I'm finding it rather tasty and I'm usually a bit disappointed when my cup is empty. It's all what you make of it..."

thanks to your advice.. i take it the same way.. minus the ice.. just really cold water... and I also like it... i add extra water though so its not so thick...

I also expected the worst.. and spent unnecessary money on extracts and things that I don't even use now lol

Find me on facebook here:  
http://www.facebook.com/DollFace81

Most Active