Question about Vitamins....

Dollface-1981
on 5/25/11 11:30 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I'm on day 3 of Optifast.. and I have bought all of my vitamins that are required for after the surgery... I was just wondering if I should start taking them now.. or wait till after?

If I should take them now.. when during the day should I take them ... I have a multi vitamin Vita Vim chewable, chewable calcium, and B12 strips...

Any advice would be appreciated.... also being on Opti has given me quite the headache... can I take Tylenol Extra Strength?

Thanks in advance!!!

Find me on facebook here:  
http://www.facebook.com/DollFace81

JennaKopanyi
on 5/25/11 11:35 pm, edited 5/25/11 11:39 pm - Harpers Ferry, WV
 If you are one of the people who need to get into the habit, I'd say take them now, know what schedule works for you.
If you are having a surgery that requires you to take 2 multi's after, just take 1 for now.

I take the B12 the moment my alarm goes off in the morning, it helps me get out of bed.

Does your multi have iron in it? Space out iron and calcium by two hours. Separate calcium doses by 2 hours as well, no more than 600mg of calcium can be absorbed at once.

I set alarms on my phone so I'm never late and never miss :)

I hope you find what works best for you

Yes, take the tylenol, but your headache is probably carb withdrawal and will pass in a few days

7/18/10: 211lbs, 10/16/10: 174 lbs, 1/21/11: 146 lbs, 4/20/11: 131 lbs. Insulin FREE since 7/2010, "normal" BMI since 12/2010. I'm 31, 5'5", happily married, with a fabulous 3 year old boy, and hope to add to our family in the near future       

Karen M #2
on 5/25/11 11:38 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
Yes, you can take Tylenol Extra Strength. Just don't take any type of NSAID (for example Advil, Motrin, Aspirin, Excedrine, Aleve, etc.)

As for the vitamins, just don't take the VitaVim and the calcium at the same time. There is iron in the VitaVim and when taken with calcium they sort of cancel themselves out. You must space out the VitaVim and calcium by 2 hours (and also 2 hours between each calcium as our body can only absorb 500mg of calcium at a time).

Good luck!
Karen

HW-328/SW-309/CW-163/GW-160
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Follow me on Twitter!: Karen_M_2

Leanne1
on 5/26/11 12:40 am - Newmarket, Canada
I had asked my nutritionist this very same question.. she told me if I wasn't taking anything before surgery, I might as well wait to have my surgery, then start taking them.

when I take my vitamins now, this is my schedule:
7am (ish)- vita-vim multi vitamin chewable x2 AND vitamin D3
10am- calcium citrate
12pm- calcium citrate
2pm- calcium citrate
4pm- calcium citrate

My NUT knows I am doing it this way and is happy with that all my bloodwork is right on speck!
StevesGal
on 5/26/11 2:32 am - Hamilton, Canada
The St. Joe's handbook says:

-  Take your prenatal vitamin with a meal or at bedtime if it upsets your stomach.

-  Take your calcium supplement with Vitamin D at least 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking your prenatal vitamin.  Iron and calcium compete for absorption in the body, so if taken together you reduce the absorption of each.

Also it says that you need to take a multivitamin and mineral supplement every day before and after surgery, starting at least 2 months before surgery. 

Sample timeline:

7am - Calcium supplement and Vit D
Noon - lunch
5pm - Calcium supplement and Vit D
10 pm - Prenatal vitamin

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Mary A.
on 5/26/11 3:01 am
My surgeon recommended that I wait until 2 weeks after surgery to begin my vitamin regime...remember you will barely be able to get in heh liquids you need and your throat may be dry, you may be sensitive and encounter some heaving..

.best to check with your clinic/doctor/team and see what they recommend.

Also multi-vitamins are speculative..I was told 2 years ago to choose a good Bariatric formulated multi vitamin..now I hear that people can take pre-natal vitamins..things sure do change..and sometimes its difficult to stay on top of it all~!

The headachemay be from teh withdrawl of something in your diet...it should go away shortly.
debralight
on 5/26/11 3:05 am - Canada
What do you mean "Multivitamins are speculative"? 
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

KristieA
on 5/26/11 5:51 am - Orillia, Canada
Hopefully this doesn't 'upset the apple cart', but my literature that came with the Optifast stage said not to take any vitamins until after surgery.

I know each clinic has different methods. Best to check in with your clinic or surgeons office just to be safe.

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

teacherof4
on 5/26/11 9:00 am
My papers also say to not take the vitamins before surgery, that you should start after.
June 14, 2011 - Surgery date                
JennR
on 5/26/11 12:55 pm
It's not funny really, almost scary how so many centres offer different advice about the same issue. I would check in with your bariatric centre or review any handouts you were given so that you are in compliance with their regime.

Most Active