confused

Monica M.
on 5/22/11 5:55 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i agree with Karen. The chemicals (aspartame) in Crystal light are not as healthy as they could be. Plain water would be the healthiest thing to drink, but if it helps get the fluids into you, then use the crystal light.

Leslie W.
on 5/22/11 6:28 am - Cobourg, Canada
I have been seeing a dietician to help get me on the right track for surgery. One thing she did say was to stay away from crstal light, splenda etc... The main reason as it is artificail and she feels that they screw with the bodies chemical and balance. When choice is limited and if it the difference of drinking crystal light or diet soft drinks I will take crystal light or cook with Splenda.

Water with lemon just doesn't do the job.

Reports are always coming out with things that are bad that once were good.

Drinking crystal light instead of soft drinks is more than a good trade off.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
JennR
on 5/22/11 6:42 am
Just goes to show that nutrition is not an exact science. Like everything else in life there are always 2 sides to the story. I think this is another situation of doing your research and making the decision based on what you decide is best for you. Personally I don't like drinks sweetened with anything but sugar so I drink more water than anything else.

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/11 6:55 am - Toronto, Canada
 Some nice alternatives to crystal lite...herbal iced teas (I love steeping spearmint tea bags overnight in a pitcher of water, sometimes I add some stevia if I want it sweet).  I also steep slices of strawberries or lemons or limes in a pitcher of water...very refreshing in summer.  I also have tried cucumber slices steeped in a pitcher of water...it was okay, some people love it.

There are an amazing number of delicious herbal teas, fruity, mint and exotic flavoured.  They are really good hot or cold and there is always stevia if you like a sweet taste.
StevesGal
on 5/22/11 8:01 am - Hamilton, Canada
Eveyone has to give you their opinion, whether you ask for it or not.  (And by "everyone" I mean those who haven't been thru WLS.)  I say just do what the NUT at your clinic says.

Just don't have lemon juice in your water.  You can't do anything acidic post-surgery for awhile (lemon, lime, pineapple, orange), so don't start now and get use to it, just to have to give it up later.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Karen M.
on 5/22/11 8:43 am - Mississauga, Canada
You're such an "expert" for someone who hasn't had surgery yet!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

debralight
on 5/22/11 12:44 pm - Canada
 *snort*
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

OKNEE FE + 3
on 5/23/11 12:34 pm

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

ashleighsmom
on 5/22/11 10:05 am
I buy the ones made with splenda and have been drinking them for 20 years I'm still living
PatXYZ
on 5/22/11 10:53 am
There is no credible evidence whatsoever that there are serious health effects from artificial sweeteners in humans. No human studies have found any correlation, never mind causation, for cancer (this is the most often cited reason not to consume aspartame and there isn't a bit of truth to it - it's from a discredited study with rats from many years ago that has never been replicated). Whether there is a mechanism that artificial sweeteners mess with your blood sugar by tricking your brain is an interesting theory, but there still isn't any good evidence to support it. The only known health issue from artificial sweeteners is gas and diarrhea if you're sensitive to it or have too much. I for one find that I am sensitive (I have IBS so this isn't really a surprise), so I double the amount of water that the Crystal Light calls for, and when I do that, I have no problems (I also prefer the taste that way as I find it sickeningly sweet!). The most important thing is for you to get adequate liquids from no calorie sources, so if Crystal Light gets you there, I think it's fine. I think the excess weight is a much bigger and real risk IMHO!
Most Active
Recent Topics