CPAP

trudylam
on 5/19/11 5:05 am - Sudbury, Canada
Well I got my CPAP machine today.  Let's just say, I won't have to fight to keep my husband off me anymore because that CPAP machine is the un-sexiest thing I could get!  LOL.  It feels strange but I hope it works.  Do I have to bring the CPAP machine to the hospital with me or just the mask?

Crackintoes
on 5/19/11 5:17 am - Canada
They said I didn't need to bring it to my Pre-Op appt, despite their literature saying different but that I definitely needed to bring it in on my day of surgery. That said, they never hooked it up. They were able to keep my O2 levels above 92 so long as I kept the oxygen on while I slept. The one time I dozed off without the oxygen on, my levels plummeted and I was quickly woken up by the machine beeping at me.

Good luck with the CPAP. It definitely takes a little while to get used to it but using it daily turned me into a different person. Turns out I wasn't just *****y by nature.  That never became more evident than when I went to a cottage for a week and decided not to bother hooking it up. Oh, and the energy... incredible!!!
~Just another day for you and me in paradise. 

highlandbear
on 5/19/11 5:18 am - Canada
You need to take the whole machine and mask with you. Hope you get use to it. I never did get use to mine. Thank God I do not have to use it anymore. What a waste of money.
Joyce J.
on 5/19/11 5:28 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

It will work, hopefully you will feel well rested in the morning. It helped me. Then losing weight helped even more.
A few months after having surgery I was able to get rid of the machine.
As for the hospital, I know I had to take my whole machine but I had my surgery in the States, not sure if it's the same here.
Just give them a call, or I'm sure someone here will have an answer

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

JJ_
on 5/19/11 6:08 am
Yes, the whole CPAP machine is to be brought for surgery day too.  It is a medically prescribed device....to keep you breathing and alive :)  I have had my CPAP since 2006 and absolutely love it.  However, once I lose weight and if I no longer require it...so be it!  My CPAP and I can have a divorce :)

lexxiblue
on 5/19/11 7:37 am
RNY on 01/11/12
isn't it a wonderful new toy.... thank god it doesn't take batteries.. cuz mine would never get used!
JJ_
on 5/19/11 11:59 am
Although I kind of wished it had battery backup for those few times that the power went out.  One night I went and checked into a hotel in an area that had power.   It was summer, very hot, no power, and therefore no A/C or CPAP...yuck!
ima_totalgeek
on 5/19/11 12:52 pm
Bring your whole machine, mask case and lots of extra distilled water.  I found the hospital air really dry and ran out of water very quickly. 
ruthann49
on 5/19/11 8:33 pm - Canada
I've had my machine for two weeks now and love it already. I sleep all night with no snoring.My husband turns the lights off before he comes to bed.He says he doesn't want that picture in his head before he goes to sleep!!

trudylam
on 5/19/11 10:34 pm - Sudbury, Canada
Last night wasn't very good with the CPAP.  I ended up clawing it off my face sometime in the middle of the night.  I put it on and read for about an hour so I could get used to it for a little while but somehow I ended up pulling it off.  Does that mean that the pressure is wrong or do I just need to adjust to it? 

Most Active
Recent Topics