I am so emotional today.

trudylam
on 5/12/11 11:34 pm - Sudbury, Canada
Well the day I have been waiting for is almost here.  I start my optifast tomorrow and my surgery is in a couple of weeks.  I am so excited but I think I am a bit overwhelmed.  I am trying to wrap my head around the fact that today will be the last day for a very long time that I will be eating solid food.  That's my food addiction talking because rationally I know that this shouldn't be a big deal.  It's only food, right?  I worry about grocery shopping and cooking for the family over the next few months too.  My intellectual side tells me that it shouldn't be a problem, my food addicted alter ego tells me that I am going to suffer.  Did anyone else have a hard time just before starting optifast?  Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Monica M.
on 5/12/11 11:49 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

I did, Trudy. Emotionally, i felt almost like i was grieving for something i was going to lose. I ate everything in sight, i'm shocked that i didnt gain 20lbs. Emotionally i was a wreck.

I actually enjoyed grocery shopping, it gave me a chance to read labels and figure out what i was going to eat after.I didnt have to prepare meals, because its just me and my hubby at home, and i let him fend for himself.

You'll do fine. You're a strong and beautiful woman.You deserve this chance at a new life.

Mon

Joyce J.
on 5/12/11 11:54 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

This is all normal, most people go through what we call the "two week freak". It's all good. Do your best, come here and talk to us.
It will be an emotional time for you

We are here to support you in any way we can

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Wendy E.
on 5/12/11 11:56 pm - Gananoque, Canada
Hey! You will do great. I went threw this also. I tried to get everything in like I was never going to see solid food again. I am on the full fluids stage. Everyone is eating burgers and spaghetti and all that stuff and its not even bothering me. I am sure it will someday,but right now I am seeing the scale going down and its so exciting I don't want that stuff. I have lost 28 pounds since I started optifast. I was only on it for 2 weeks. You will do great. Our heads like to play games with us,but we will be the winner in the end. Take care and good luck too you!

Wendy E

sam1am
on 5/13/11 12:21 am
Your thought process is perfectly normal.  Something important to remember is that after surgery you won't be wanting to eat too much.  You will be perfectly satisfied with small amounts and that should hold you off until it is time to eat solids.  After that you will be able to eat, just smaller amounts.  I found the Optifast, although much better than I suspected, the hardest part.  Try to keep yourself busy, it will help.  Why not set up a recipe book taking some of your current favourites and translating them into sugar free, low carb dishes.  Either look on the recipe forum here for suggestions or figure out your own substitutions.  I had fun trying to come up with dishes that were tasty and satisfying on low carb.  YOu have sooooo much to look forward to, try to enjoy the whole experience!

Good luck!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

jdance
on 5/13/11 12:23 am - Canada
been there, done that.
Of course that's normal.
But you won't care once the surgery is done. Food takes on a whole new meaning.

I would try and make up casseroles and such for the family while you are on optifast and liquids post op. You don't want to be in the kichen cooking  when you can't eat on optifast. Afterwards might not be such a big deal.

Best of luck to you. The wait is almost over.

J

trudylam
on 5/13/11 12:27 am - Sudbury, Canada
You all are amazing!  Thank you so much for the words of encouragement and suggestions!  My brain is playing tricks on me and I can get through this.  I am going to make that recipe book (well it will be a Word file.lol) and get myself ready to make these changes.  It just occured to me that I don't have to change just what I eat, this family is going to undergo some changes too.  Why did it take so long for me to realize that??? lol.  I feel much better now, no more tears and panic be gone!  Thank you to all of you.  I love this place.  

Kelshy
on 5/13/11 12:35 am - Cannifton, Canada
 I am certain most if not all of us went through the same emotions at some point. 
I gained 1 lb in the last week before starting optfast and I have no idea why I didn't gain at least 10 lbs during my week of "last suppers" 

At the beginning of my Opti-hell I could not cook dinners for my family but coming towards the end of the three weeks I enjoyed cooking them a decent dinner and they had developed an appreciation of my cooking efforts once left to their own devices for a couple weeks. A good experience for them I do believe! lol

Today I am 4 days post op and the best part so far?... I have NO appetite. ME??? Holy crap ... I had a voracious appetite. Since then i have cooked for the family and I have bought special treats from a fancy bakery in Chinatown for them. 

Its gonna get better and better for both of us 

Chin up girlly .. you can do it

Chris

Feb 19 2010 Referral to Ottawa         Nov 24 2010 Orientation at TWH
Jan 25 2011 Nurse                               Feb 16 2011 Social Worker
March 10 2011 Psychiatrist                 April 8 2011 Surgeon
Surgery May 9 2011                             Bowel Obstruction/ internal Hernia Feb 13 2013  

scaredskinny123
on 5/13/11 3:30 am - Stirling, Canada
Glad to hear your feeling good keep it up and walk and sip, walk and sip, rest and walk, rest and walk.  Looking forward to seeing you back in the office, TTFN, Carol

Karlalala
on 5/13/11 3:27 am - London, Canada
I didn't have to do Optifast but I just wanted to encourage you to hang in there and keep coming out here and talking about your fears and worries....it helps!

Hang in there!

Karla  - Stayin positive and moving forward!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics