what do you do with couscous?

prdmomof3
on 5/5/11 8:37 pm - Canada
I have no idea how to prepare couscous..anyone have ideas for me....???

Michelle.

paula-37
on 5/5/11 9:03 pm - brantford, Canada
Hi Michelle are there no cooking instruction on the box?i myself have never prepared coucous ither.i hope somedody can help you.i want to wish you all the best of luck on your weight loss jorurney. i want to wish you all the best for a sucsseful weight loss jorueny.take care.have a wonderful weekend.sedning you hugs and positive vibes/
SINCERELY YOUR OH FRIEND ALWAYS
PAULA(paula-37)

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/11 9:05 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I used to use couscous and cooked them according to the instructions on the box.  I changed to quinoa since couscous has no nutritional value. 
Karen M.
on 5/5/11 9:20 pm - Mississauga, Canada
I'm with Tracey on this one - quinoa is an awesome ancient grain, couscous is semolina flour.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

KevinW
on 5/5/11 10:18 pm - Canada
I have to agree. Couscous is essentially white pasta.
What do I do with couscous? LOL....I just leave it on the shelf!

That said, if you would still like to use it, you pour the dry couscous in a bowl, add boiling water (or stock) and allow the couscous to absorb the liquid.
Couscous can be used hot, as a side dish (like rice) or cold in salads, etc.
I'm sure that you could just google it and find the proper ratio of couscous to water.

Karen M.
on 5/5/11 10:21 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Google is, afterall, our friend!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/11 12:59 am - Toronto, Canada

I'm not a fan of couscous.  It really doesnt have great flavor to me.  BUT...if you want to make it, all you do is mix equal parts couscous with boiling water, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.  Couscous is already cooked, you're esentially just re-hydrating it with the boiling water.

My sister makes it a lot and she adds to it - nuts, seeds, dried fruit, herbs.  She makes it like a salad.

hobbithands
on 5/6/11 1:07 am - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 We used to eat alot of couscous until we discovered quinoa. 
Cous cous really doesnt have a lot of taste, so it was always added to salads. The usual was a spinach and strawberry salad with cous cous (now 
quinoa). For me it made it tolerable.

Jennifer B.
on 5/6/11 12:25 pm - Welland, Canada
I loooove couscous. I get the whole wheat kind and I add chick peas for protein, I cook it in half orange juice and half water for flavour, onions, garlic, nutmeg, curry, apricots and salt and pepper.

I also make it with chick peas, black olives, chives, canned crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, coriander, ginger, and lemon. For this one I cook it in vegetable broth.

I've only had quinoa once and didn't find out what it was until afterward, but after all the rave reviews I might have to try it again.
Jen                
Most Active