My Bucket List

trudylam
on 5/1/11 7:25 am - Sudbury, Canada
Well now that it's May, I can say that my surgery is "this month".  I find myself almost making a list of the things I want to eat before I start my Optifast in 2 weeks.  There are foods I want to eat, restaurants I want to go to and I can't seem to stop myself from wanting these bad things.  It's been so hard to not go to Tim Hortons just to buy a dozen donuts and eat them til I can't look at another donut for a long time! lol  I am starting to mourn food already I think.  Is that normal so soon?  I have to get my brain in the game but now that the countdown is on it's almost like I feel pressure to say goodbye to food. 

Andrew Thompson
on 5/1/11 7:43 am - Canada
 So very normal. You make me laugh: I remember going through the same thing. But I acted upon it...and even didn't get to the end of the list. 

Before the surgery I kept putting things off. I was never good enough. One of the benefits of WLS is that you start to believe in yourself. Check out my blog:
All Things CPAP

Donnaslifepart2
on 5/1/11 7:51 am, edited 5/1/11 7:52 am - Canada
Oh, Trudy.  Read my blog.  I just wrote about the very same thing.

jdance
on 5/1/11 8:16 am - Canada
i probably had kfc twice and ice cream etc, but now it doesn't mean anything to me.

you will think after "what was all the fuss for?", you won't care for that garbage anymore, seriously, i haven't stepped foot in a kfc, mcd's or wendys or tims since June 2010.Weird, but i love it.
pick one or two and make it your last, enjoy it.

best of luck on your upcomoing journey.

CdnGal
on 5/1/11 8:23 am - Canada
I have been going through my bucket list since my orientation which is probably why I have gained 14 pounds!!  But now I have stopped, and I am starting to eat healthy again and go for walks at night, so hopefully I'll have lost before I even start optifast.
suzyq0052
on 5/1/11 8:24 am
I had always said that I would have PIZZA for my "last meal".. but when the time came I had grilled salmon and fresh green salad, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I just did not want to have to deal with any extra pounds from eating the forbidden foods LOL, (the sodium in the pizza would have put pounds on me). I just kept telling myself, its only food, and its time to consider the forbidden foods as part of my past. Frankly it was easier for me than some folks to give up fast food and junk food etc..  as we rarely dine out at restaurants and don't as a rule have fast food. I only had pizza about once a year in the past 2 yrs before surgery, and have not had fast food burgers etc in years,  so junk food was not that hard to give up. Guess I had it easier than most when it came time to start the optifast, no fast food cravings to overcome.
suzyq0052

Gabygee
on 5/1/11 8:24 am - Canada
my girlfriends and I scheduled a "Last Supper" (in my case, it was at the Mandarin so we could all enjoy what suited our dietary needs) so it was a celebration.
Thankfully, it was three days before I started the OptiFast because I did feel like I was starving when I first went on it.

Nowadays (5 weeks post-op) I ingest less than the calories I took in when I was on OptiFast, but I don't miss them at all. I am never physically hungry, but hte ads on TV certainly do cause some head hunger.

Mourning food is just part of the journey.
And (thank you to my surgeon) I cannot physically tolerate many of the foods I used to love, so even if I was tempted, they would make me feel very ill indeed.

trudylam
on 5/1/11 8:30 am - Sudbury, Canada
I am trying to decide what my "last supper" should be.  Do I even want to acknowledge it?  Maybe just a tub of Hagen Daz to bid my old life adieu.  It's so nice to know that I'm not alone here!  Thank you for sharing your stories. :)

tata2
on 5/1/11 8:54 am - Canada
I had about 10 resturants on my bucket list and I got them all done but one. This day 5 of optifast I am still dreaming about the one that got away :-(              
BUT......I know nothing will taste better than been healthy and thinner so every Optifast is better than a steak dinner ;-)
getter done then enjoy your optifasts
tata  

teacherof4
on 5/1/11 9:42 am
I'm glad to hear I am not alone in my thoughts of food. Now that my Optifast is in the cupboard waiting for May 23rd -- I too have been making a list in my head of what I want to eat for one last time. I haven't carried thru on it but the thoughts are there!
June 14, 2011 - Surgery date                
Most Active
Recent Topics