HELP..need advice...

prdmomof3
on 4/24/11 7:41 pm - Canada
Hey everyone...just need some advice..

I am 2 weeks out today..and I have been losing on average 2lbs a day since my surgery, but now I have weighed the samething for the last 2 days...I have increased my exercise and been as active as I can be. ..could this be my first stall??  I am worried!

Is this normal this early out??

Please help!

SandpaperSandy
on 4/24/11 9:43 pm - Kitchener, Canada
Do yourself a favor and stop looking at the scale daily.  Check once a week and you will still see the weight loss.

your body has to adjust to the rapid weight loss, so there are days when the scale won't move. It is not a stall. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/11 10:11 pm - Canada
 FORGET THE SCALE!

that damn thing will drive you ape****!

just keep up what your doing and focus on your accomplishments.  personally i weigh myself once a month IF THAT (and its usually cause everyone else is curious about my progress)  the way i see it a stall is better then a gain.  and ANY loss is better then how my life was before surgery,

just my thoughts.
ToNewBeginnings
on 4/25/11 4:07 am
 Ape ****!
missingmanny
on 4/24/11 10:11 pm - Canada
OP is right and your water retention changes daily if not hourly as well...Your fear of stopping losing is likely dictating your obsession with the scale...been there....You will continue losing and averaging over a month showed it to me...eventually...all the best... 

HW 268  SW 261  CW 166GW 170 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com    

ericaFG
on 4/24/11 10:27 pm - Cambridge, Canada
Ok -think about this rationally for a minute.

If you continued to lose 2lbs a day...you'd lose 10lbs a week.  60lbs a month.  So - you'd hit goal in 2 months.  Is that realistic?

Average weight loss (after those first few weeks where you're eating almost nothing) is 2lbs a week.  So - some days you'll lose nothing.  Some days you'll even go up a lb or two.  That's the way it works.

Pick a "weigh day".  Write your weight down on that day.  Weigh yourself on the other days if you need to - but don't focus on it.  Compare yourself weekly at MOST.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

trudylam
on 4/25/11 12:10 am, edited 4/25/11 12:11 am - Sudbury, Canada
This is exactly the reason I am not buying a scale.  I will weigh myself at my follow ups and maybe occasionally when I visit my parents on special occasions.  Get off the scale and use a measuring tape.  You may not see the numbers on the scale but it doesn't mean your body isn't changing.  You are too early out to be stressing about this.  That 2 pounds a day was probably fluid.  Now you are getting into the real weight loss.  Step back and look at it realistically, just like the above poster said.  Really, if you lost 3 pounds a week, that's over 150 pounds in a year.  Breathe and relax. :)  You are getting there.

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/25/11 12:12 am - Windsor, Canada
The natural fluctuations of your weight will drive you crazy. We can range anywhere from a 1 to 5 lb weight fluctuation each day depending on things like: how constipated we are, how much sodium we've taken in, how much we are dehydrated, hormones.  

It is not a good thing to get on the scale every day. You will become obsessed and that can lead to all or nothing thinking. "Gee I'm up 2 lbs for nothing! If I am going to GAIN weight I might as well eat something that I enjoy...". It really messes with the weight loss brain.

Allow yourself only to weigh yourself once a week at the exact same time of day, completely naked. 

It's all about the overall picture of weight loss. The up/down thing just makes you nuts!

Dawnie

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Karlalala
on 4/25/11 3:10 am - London, Canada
Whole heartedly agree with all the posters before me.  Also, most people have a small somewhere between 2 to 4 weeks....just your body doing some adapting.  No need to panic.  Either way, you will have many over the coming year....some longer than others....it is best to get it thru your head now that they are going to happen and that when they do....just keep eating right and doing what you are supposed to be doing and it will eventually pass.....do not let the scale thing ruin you....

I weighed once a week or once every other week.....it never bugged me because I always saw losses.  If I had stalled for a few days I thankfully had no clue!  LOL!

Karla  - Stayin positive and moving forward!!!

Jennifer D.
on 4/25/11 3:30 am
Also make sure you're eating according to your schedule, getting in water,protein and nutrients. That is what's most important at this stage post-op.
Most Active