Job interview

trudylam
on 4/19/11 1:00 am - Sudbury, Canada
Why is it that everything happens at the most inconvenient times?  I have been job hunting for the past year or so, putting out resumes and searching job banks.  I made the decision last week to stop looking until after my surgery on May 30th.  So of course, today I get a phone call for an interview for a job that I didn't even apply for.  My resume is posted on Workopolis so they pulled it from there and called me.  I think this just might work out but I am torn.  Would you tell a potiential employer about an upcoming surgery at the first interview stage?  I know I don't have to tell them but it feels dishonest not to.  Man, just as I thought the stress in my life was decreasing stuff like this has to happen.  
Now I am off to investigate daycare for my kidlets. 
(This is me trying to keep all my balls in the air.) LOL

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/11 1:15 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
When you go for the interview, they generally ask you when you would be available to start work.  I'd be honest that you have a surgery booked for May 30th that you cannot cancel and you would need to be off work for xx weeks after surgery.
tata2
on 4/19/11 1:23 am - Canada
hey there just got your message I was in the shower and now off to lunch so I will call you when I get home. I would not say anything unless they a) ask when available or b) offer you the job.
But for sure go for it especially if it is a job you would want. If they want you they will wait.
talk to you soon,
T.

Monica M.
on 4/19/11 2:10 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i agree with tata. tell them you'll be available x weeks after  your surgery. Hopefully you'll wow them in the interview and they'll be happy to wait for you. Good luck.

Mary A.
on 4/19/11 5:20 am
I was hired in the beginning of Sept and my wedding was at the end of the month..some of these things you simply cannot postpone...

sure I was only off for 4 days with a wedding and recovery from an operation would be longer, but personally I wouldn't mention it at the 1st interview step.

PatXYZ
on 4/19/11 6:56 am
Absolutely no need to mention it at the interview, only once they've offered you the position or asked you point blank when you'd be prepared to start. I was hired once a week before a planned 2 week vacation and I told them I couldn't start for a month and they understood, most employers expect to wait 2 or more weeks from the time the person is hired anyway incase the person is employed elsewhere.
Most Active
Recent Topics