my mind is racing now...

prdmomof3
on 4/8/11 7:20 am - Canada
What did you eat the first few days you were home from surgery??.....I need to get things in the house before Monday that I will be able to eat...or was it just liquids?..help please!!!

Michelle.

Karlalala
on 4/8/11 8:08 am - London, Canada
Your surgeon's office should have provided you with a plan as to what you are to consume for not only the first week out of surgery but the many many weeks to follow.  Did they not give you that info?

Karla  - Stayin positive and moving forward!!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/11 8:14 am - Toronto, Canada
Humber gave us a step by step book.

First 2 weeks is Full Fluids
Next 2 weeks is Pureed Foods

But that's Humber....
KristieA
on 4/8/11 8:20 am - Orillia, Canada
I ate cream of wheat, cream soup-low sodium low fat (Gardennay brand), unsweetened applesauce and they recommend Greek plain yogurt, skim milk, skim milk powder helped to (add a bit to the cream of wheat and soup). You will also need protein shake powder or premixed.

I found the small round Glad containers (100ml) helpful to measure and eat in the same container.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Sharvanne
on 4/8/11 8:25 am - Canada
 Guelph has a very specific guideline. You should have received a package from your nutritionist. Do you still have it? If not, you should contact them right away. 

Every centre is different, but at Guelph, it was clear fluids the first two weeks. I only had watered down juice, water, sugar free jello and broth.
Highest Weight - 372 (May 2010)
Surgery Weight - 332.6 (March 4, 2011)
Current Weight - 212.9
Goal Weight - 175
runjoeyrun16
on 4/8/11 9:00 am
i went through windsor, with surgery in guelph.

for the first two weeks home, i was allowed to have water, sf jello, broth, sf popsicles, and crystal light.
August 20th, 2009 - Referral for WLS from family doctor
May 17th, 2010 - Orientation at Windsor Hospital
May 26th, 2010 - Appointment with nurse and SW
June 1st, 2010 - Appointment with NUT and doctor
August 31st, 2010 - Follow up with SW, NUT and doctor
October 7th, 2010 - Surgical Education Class
November 2nd, 2010 - Consultation with Dr. Jules Foute Nelong
December 21st, 2010 - SURGERY DAY!
trudylam
on 4/8/11 9:22 am - Sudbury, Canada
If your hospital didn't give you any ideas, read through this link.  It's the book that we get at St. Joe's that details the diet stages post op.  Your plan my differ slightly but it will give you an idea of what to expect.  Good luck!

http://www.stjoes.ca/media/PatientED/F-J/PD%206000%20Bariatr ic%20Surgery%20-%20Gastric%20Bypass%20April%202010.pdf

SandpaperSandy
on 4/9/11 4:27 am - Kitchener, Canada
I see that you are with the Guelph clinic because of your surgeons name.  follow exactly what they gave you in the stapled hand out.  do not go outside your guidelines. Guelph is really picky and they will ask you what you are eating at your follow up visit.  

the package outlines everything from day 1 of surgery right up to months afterwards.
I think I ended up with the same information about 3 times before surgery.  The girls are really good to go over the guidelines several times before surgery.

Lil-Stinker
on 4/9/11 2:15 pm
I just went to the education class in Ottawa and they told us that the first week out is clear fluids but we are to put protein powder in with it.
Referral sent on 26 Feb 2010 - Sleep Study on 28 May 2010 - Info session at WMC on 14 Jan 11- Appt with the APN (nurse) on 27 Jan 11 - Dietician and Behaviorist appts on Feb 24. WLS Class 6th April 2011 - Surgeon appt 3 May 2011 Dr Yelle - Surgery June 6th          
Most Active