I have sleep apnea :( Need to ask some questions.

Lilla M.
on 3/28/11 6:25 am
I just found out I have severe sleep apnea. I am devestated. I have my appt with dr.glazer mid april n my nut/sw end of april.will this delay my process of having the surgery? I go to the sleep clinic may 2, i guess to discuss options. Does anyone kmow if you can rent a machine or does it have to be purchased? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lilla

My Angel is Merly6800

Doc sent referral Dec 2010
H.Pylori Test Feb16, 2011
Bone Scan Feb 18, 2011
Sleep Study Feb 28,2011
1st Consultation @ Humber River March 7, 2011 
Dr Huynh March 14, 2011
Gastric Class March 30,2011
Nut/SW April  6, 2011 
Dr Glaser April 13, 2011
Dr Huynh April 28 ,2011
Surgery Date: June 15,2011
tobif
on 3/28/11 6:58 am

Hi
I was also just found out the same for myself just last week.  I seen the doctor and he gave me a prescription for a machine, picked up the machine the next day, and I go back to the sleep clinic on April 10th with my machine to make sure it is the correct speed for me.  And the next day I went to see the surgeon and got my date for may 18th - please note this surgery date I asked for due to my work, but I could have had sooner.

Ohh also you can rent the machine but OHIP covers 75% and then if you have insurance thru your job they would cover I think $260 or it.  I paid out of my own pocket an extra $200 but it depends on the machines that you are shown and what you choose - you really need to try them out to see what will work best for you.

Good Luck

Tobi

sam1am
on 3/28/11 7:44 am
 Sleep apnea is a comorbity that is acceptable as a reason for being accepted for weightloss surgery so in some ways it's a good thing?  Many, many people (including me) are off their CPAP machines after surgery, so hopefully it will be just a temporary inconvenience for you! 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

OKNEE FE + 3
on 3/28/11 8:34 am, edited 3/28/11 8:34 am
Wow I am surprised that with severe sleep apnea you are not booked to discuss your options until May 2, when I was diagnosed they insisted I come back immediately. . .guess like everything there is a difference amongst sleep clinics etc.

I don't know about renting the machines, what I do know is that assistive devices help with a majority of its cost.

Some sleep apneas are relieved with weight loss while others remain.  I was just told I no longer need my machine a month ago!!

Good Luck

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

Patti K.
on 3/28/11 8:44 am - Kingston On, Canada
Lilla, I am one of the ones who is still sleeping with their cpap machine after wls....you will notice a huge change for "good" after you start sleeping with your cpap....good luck on your journey.   Patti K.

MisterDiminishing
on 3/28/11 9:28 am - Windsor, Canada
There's no reason to be devastated.  Just be thankful the condition was identified and that you will now be getting the proper treatment for it.   So it won't work against you.

Also, as others have said, sleep apnea is a comorbity that ramps up your WLS qualifications.   There are worse ways to find out you have sleep apnea (like falling asleep at the wheel, having a heart attack, etc.)

You'll be fine.

Most Active
Recent Topics