Sleep apnea

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/11 4:31 am, edited 3/25/11 4:31 am - Canada
For more info on this subject you could go to this site.....

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-apnea/treating-sl eep-apnea/default.htm?ecd=wnl_wmh_032511

It really helped me when I found out I had sleep apnea.

JennR
on 3/25/11 8:44 am
My husband was just diagnosed with sleep apnea so he just went through the process of getting his CPAP. The company that he went to gave him the machine and the hoses and mask to trial for a month. He has to call back within a couple of weeks to let them know if it is working out. If all is well they will do the paperwork for the Ministry of Health to cover their portion of the machine which I believe is $780 and his portion will be around $400 (my work benefits will cover some of this). Sorry I don't have the paperwork in front of me to quote you exact numbers. He gave them a credit card number but they are not going to process it until he calls to say that everything is working right. The technician who set him up said that people usually feel better within a couple of nights of using the CPAP but it can take a couple of weeks to get used to wearing it. There is a small percentage that don't get any help from the CPAP or can't get used to wearing it, in that case they will take everything back at no charge. I did have a few threads in the past couple of weeks about sleep apnea if you look back a few pages you'll probably see them. Weight loss will not necessarily 'cure' sleep apnea in every person, you'll have to be retested after you have lost the weight. Hope this helps.

Sikah
on 3/27/11 5:06 pm - Canada
People do not realized that sleep apnea is a life threatening disease.  Apnea is several events of you not breathing while sleeping.  Many people don't realize that this device has to be set by a respiroligist to the pressure necessary.  If this is not done you could be doing more harm.  My first indication of apnea was in the recovery room after surgery.  Everytime they took the oxygen off me I went in to alarm.  Sometimes the equiptment is covered by the assistive device program. 
Most Active
Recent Topics