O.T. Another death at Ottawa Hospital Complications from WLS

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/10 2:51 am
On April 5, 2010 at 4:34 PM Pacific Time, pugmommy wrote:
i would like to respond to this one!  First off I have NEVER met DR Dent. NEVER. 
I had the best care you could ever imagine at the Ottawa hospital and I am pretty sure you werent there to confirm it.  I did have TED stockings, which I am sure are the same as what you are talking about.  I had a wonderful bariatric nurse *****minded me to sip and walk and sit up.  I had a CT scan after surgery to check for leaks.  YOU DONT know the specifics about her death is all I am saying.. Untill you do dont go shooting your mouth off about the hospital.  You are totally bad mouthing them and its unfair!   I know someone has died and I feel sympathy, oh I feel the sympathy.  It is a discussion forum and I am discussing, NOT bad mouthing Ottawa unlike YOU!  I am not forced to read this thread, I wanted to read it.. Its some people that are so narrow minded that **** me off!!!!
You really should not take this personally.  She is not bad mouthing anyone, only asking important questions.

Chill already.
mommy-of-two-boys
on 4/5/10 11:51 am - Ottawa, Canada
LouiseF
on 4/5/10 8:34 am
It is wrong to try and compare rates of deaths/complications without more data. Statistics are a complex thing to evaluate. It might be that there will be no more bariatric surgery related deaths at this site for many years to come. Working with such a small number of cases- it's impossible to set a rate.
We don't know how/why these people died, or how high risk they were. Then there are non-surgical causes of death- hospital caused infection, drug errors, rare allergies, blood transfusion reactions- the list goes on and on. I was surprised to see that they are doing this surgery on someone 67 years old, I had understood the age limit was 60.

Sadly people die who have low risks. I vividly recall a young- mid 20's, otherwise healthy woman dying after an appendectomy. She had a cardiac arrest and despite all our efforts in ICU she died. Another woman was having plastics to repair a minor problem-- and suffered a cardiac arrest- again otherwise healthy - low risk- mid 30's.

I practiced as a midwife for 10 years- never had a stillbirth, neonatal death, or maternal death. Does that mean that I never would have had that- NO. It's all in the odds. At some point I would have had a tragedy- would it be due to my error or to nature?  Human error is a factor- but nature has to be taken into account. I am sure that the deaths will be carefully investigated to make sure that all risks are reduced as much as possible.
BMI 36 with co-morbiditites : Hypertension  GERD    HW-240,
Orientation weight 230, SW 213, CW- 162 

Help a great kid.

Migraine sufferer - see my blog for help getting VSG
pugmommy
on 4/5/10 8:52 am - Canada
Very well said

Start Weight ..... 279
Surgery March 10, 2010
Dr Mammazza
Ottawa Hospital

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/10 9:20 am
On April 5, 2010 at 3:34 PM Pacific Time, LouiseF wrote:
It is wrong to try and compare rates of deaths/complications without more data. Statistics are a complex thing to evaluate. It might be that there will be no more bariatric surgery related deaths at this site for many years to come. Working with such a small number of cases- it's impossible to set a rate.
We don't know how/why these people died, or how high risk they were. Then there are non-surgical causes of death- hospital caused infection, drug errors, rare allergies, blood transfusion reactions- the list goes on and on. I was surprised to see that they are doing this surgery on someone 67 years old, I had understood the age limit was 60.

Sadly people die who have low risks. I vividly recall a young- mid 20's, otherwise healthy woman dying after an appendectomy. She had a cardiac arrest and despite all our efforts in ICU she died. Another woman was having plastics to repair a minor problem-- and suffered a cardiac arrest- again otherwise healthy - low risk- mid 30's.

I practiced as a midwife for 10 years- never had a stillbirth, neonatal death, or maternal death. Does that mean that I never would have had that- NO. It's all in the odds. At some point I would have had a tragedy- would it be due to my error or to nature?  Human error is a factor- but nature has to be taken into account. I am sure that the deaths will be carefully investigated to make sure that all risks are reduced as much as possible.

I still would like to hear what OHIP or Dent have to say abou this.  People have said numerous times that Dent has bashed the **** out of the DS because of it's complications and death rate..  Looks like Dent and his team have their own to explain.  Hey OHIP, I hope you come down hard on their asses this time around.  
Karen M #2
on 4/5/10 10:22 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
Dr.Fitzer has even admitted that their stats are the exception and definitely not the norm. He said the norm is more like 1 death per 250 surgeries (still a better stat than the Ottawa hospital is giving right now).

HW-328/SW-309/CW-163/GW-160
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Follow me on Twitter!: Karen_M_2

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/10 9:17 am
Well, well, well.  They stopped Dr.L from doing the DS because of the "complications" but now we see this in Dent's world.

Yes, Eileen, I can see why you're upset but get some thick skin around here because people will express their concerns.   While I feel awful for the patients that have lost their lives,  I hope this proves to OHIP that Dent and his team are not the "be all and end all".  Perhaps they have bitten off more then they can chew and I certainly hope these patients did get the comparable care as we who went to the States for our surgeries.

Lorraine and Pheona,  I absolutely understand what you are saying.   Don't feel like you have to shut up because it "****** people off".  Nobody shut up for us way back when. 

I really hope this lady did not die from a preventalbe complication.  Let's wait for the details.
Ruth E H.
on 4/5/10 9:27 am, edited 4/5/10 9:42 am - Renfrew, Canada
Not only has Ottawa Hospital only been doing the surgeries since Sept. 28th, I believe I read somewhere that they do an average of 3-4 surgeries per week, isn't that correct?
So.....that works out to be approximately 27 weeks x 4 surgeries = approximately 108 surgeries with 3 freakin' deaths and they don't do high-risk ones?
Scares the **** out of me.
I am not painting all Ontario surgeons with same brush - just speaking of dent and his Ottawa Hospital team, that's all.  If you had a successful, uneventful surgery there, I am sincerely happy for you.  However, I would NEVER do it.
Maybe OHIP will wake up soon and stop letting our fellow Ontarians die!

P.S. - I know of the one death - that lady from Carleton Place - could someone fill me in on the 2nd death?

Also....I didn't think weight-loss surgery was being performed on those in their 60's?  Again, correct me if I am wrong.

So glad I had my surgery with one of the world's best.  That is for sure, man.

Dutchy
on 4/5/10 9:50 am - stittsville, Canada
Scares the crap out of me... i just hope they realize it and bring OCC back so that people can go to skilled surgeons.

Why the hell would someone with a bmi of over 50 let a newbie surgeon operate on them?

I just hope there are no more deaths, these poor people are just trying to get healthy and live, so sad.

My two cents!

Karen M #2
on 4/5/10 10:12 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
Not disagreeing with you, but Dr.Yelle isn't a "newbie surgeon". He's done RNY's in the past and has been doing what they consider revisions (fixing leaks, etc.) for many years. As for Dr.Mamazza, I have no idea.

HW-328/SW-309/CW-163/GW-160
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Follow me on Twitter!: Karen_M_2

Most Active