O.T. Another death at Ottawa Hospital Complications from WLS

Karen M.
on 4/5/10 6:32 am - Mississauga, Canada
Frankly, I think it's a shame that people not only blame the surgeon, but assume that all Ontario surgeons aren't qualified.  Starting to **** me off, actually.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Liz R.
on 4/6/10 7:34 am - Belleville, Canada

I agree Karen!!!!  As a woman who just recently had surgery in Ontario, I think the bariatric program is really good, and my surgeon is competent, well trained and has done an awesome job!

Karen M.
on 4/6/10 11:11 am - Mississauga, Canada
Couldn't agree more.  And that was 4 years ago.

Karen

Catnip
on 4/5/10 8:45 am - Ottawa, Canada
You're right, unfounded rumors don't help. But pre-ops should be aware of the risks they are taking.  All Surguries come with risks and I think we all agree they shouldn't be sugar coated. The fact of the matter is that three people in Ottawa have died following WLS since the program started in September.

What others have said is right, we don't know what caused the issue, but say it was co-morbidity related rather then surgery related (heart issues, apnea issues, diabetic issues etc.) If Ottawa is having that many issues with patients, maybe are they not screening well enough? Maybe they don't have the technical support to deal with high risk surgeries? (please note use of support not skill) and considering they are working with people with BMI's of less then 50,  red flags are waving in my head.

The whole Ottawa program is new, it isn't just the surgery skills I am thinking about. How many people in the program have any long term experience in actually post surgical care of WLS patients?  Are the aftercare staff really trained to notice complications? Do the staff recognize how quickly intestinal surgery complications can develop? Do they realize this is 2 major surgeries in one shot? Are they really aware that because the patient is often SMO with co-mobilities, what that means for recovery?  Do they have the equipment to deal with SMO patients?  Like the pressure booties, proper equipment to help them move and make it easier for them to become mobile?  Ottawa might be labeled as a center of excellence but it isn't there yet.

Either way don't those stats scare you? Aren't general RNY complication rates somewhere around 2 in 1000?  There was another post on OH stating that Ottawa had done 50 to 100 RNY's, so at best 4 in 100 is the rate of complication in Ottawa (and that is just the ones we know about). The Ottawa patients should be aware of the problems associated with that program. What are the complication rates for Windsor'ss, Guelph's or Toronto's program?

Every Doctor can have a bad spell, doesn't matter what type of surgery they do. ANY bad spell should raise red flags, new program or old.  Dr. L had a bad spell, powers that be removed the option for people to have DS.  Maybe Ottawa needs to take a break get some more staff, training and experience. If this is a bad spell then things need to be reviewed and to find out what is causing the bad spell.

The thing that makes this an issue for me is , that the powers that be have taken away people's choice. People in Ontario can no longer look at their options and decide what is best for them. They don't have surgery options and they don't have location options.  You and I had a choice, we made the desicion about what was best for us. That is gone.
The programs in south western Ontario don't seem to be having these issues, maybe they are and I am just not seeing them. If i knew someone *****ally wanted RNY and wanted to stay in Ontario, I would recommend a southwestern Ontario program for them rather then the Ottawa one, but that is my opinion.

catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

pugmommy
on 4/6/10 7:51 am - Canada
Guess you know it all dont you!?
I guess we are bad patients.
YOU, YOU think that its more likely that they are new at doing this and still learning. 
Wow, you are one opinionated one arent you!!

Start Weight ..... 279
Surgery March 10, 2010
Dr Mammazza
Ottawa Hospital

Catnip
on 4/6/10 12:08 pm - Ottawa, Canada
So why is it that you can have an opinion but others can?

Do you really think that the Ottawa program has it s down to a science after 100 surgeries? Shouldn't they always be learning?

The statement about bad patients was sarcasm.......

And as much as you don't like it there is something in Canada called freedom of speech and that means we can express opinions.  Something both of us have being doing.

Anyways,

I am done with this, Hopefully some pre-ops have read this thread  and will ask the Ottawa program some tough questions, it will save their lives and make the program better. 

Aren't we really on the same side here anyways?   I want people to be able to get WLS in a timely and safe manner, don't you? 

Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

loiswill
on 4/5/10 3:50 am
MY PRAYS ARE WITH THE FAMILY AND GOD BLESS THE HEALTH TEAM ITS NOT THEIR FAULT..

sheri139 and nanpet are my  
I am justmeyogs  
 http://loisweightlossjourney.blogspot.com/
  View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

milauran
on 4/5/10 7:34 am - Ottawa, Canada
Boy I really am being a trouble maker today but here goes.

While I accept that every surgery has its risks based on the co-morbidities of the patients involved, and that every surgeon has had patients die from complications, and that we need to know all the facts before jumping to conclusions and scaring the people who are having surgery in Ottawa in the coming few months - still, in the 50, at most, surgeries that have been done in Ottawa since September, to have 3 deaths and a near 4th is a little high. Drs Graber/Fitzer have had one death in over 2000 surgeries. And certainly Ottawa has not been operating on more high risk patients, quite the opposite, they were not doing patients with BMIs over 50 initially.
Lorraine           
 Lost before consult 50  between consult & surgery 33  since surgery 88
    HW 335  ConsultW 285   SW 252   CW 164  GW 167   Left to lose 0 (-3 below goal)

pugmommy
on 4/5/10 7:55 am, edited 4/5/10 7:56 am - Canada
Firstly I NEVER get involved in politics here but NOW I AM GOING TO!  No one knows the details surrounding the death so for GOD's sake, leave it alone will you?

And that is directed to Lorraine!

Start Weight ..... 279
Surgery March 10, 2010
Dr Mammazza
Ottawa Hospital

Karen M.
on 4/5/10 8:01 am - Mississauga, Canada
Hmm... well, some people can't seem to stop beating a dead horse.  Irritating, isn't it?

Karen

Most Active