Dr.Bernstein diet???

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/09 5:12 am - Ontario, Canada, Canada
Has anyone done the dr. berstein diet??? I know some one wanting to try it but they wanted to know the cost involved without having to go in and be pressured??? It is about the only diet I haven't tried so I am not much help LOL

Thanks
DS Facts
on 1/8/09 5:20 am
I would not recommend it at all. I lost 60 and gained back 80 pounds in less than a year. It cost me thousansd of dollars.

It really messes with your metabolism.

My 2 cents.

Bev
SandrainOnt
on 1/8/09 5:24 am - Canada
I do know two people that went on this diet.

It was a mother / son.  They both lost lots of weight however they were living on about 700 calories per day.

The son lost over 100 lbs and then went off the diet.  He put all the weight back on and it was so hard on him because he put it back on so fast that he had a heart attack and passed away.  I am not 100 percent sure that that diet was in any way part of it but once you have lost the weight it's hard to live on that many calories a day therefore you risk putting the weight back on.

Also the cost is about 500/700 per month if memory serves me correctly.

Sandra

">
    Bless my DS!  Ask me why I love it so much!
    Huggs to all of my Angelettes.

4myGiRL
on 1/8/09 5:25 am - Oshawa, Canada
Hi,
Can't speak from first hand experience, as I could never afford to do it!  However, I work with a lady that just had to stop the program as it was causing medical complications for her.  It's covered by some medical plans through employers, but... once she stopped the program she's gained it all back within a VERY short time! 
Take care

One Day at a Time & One Foot Infront of the Other... Michelle

dk0429
on 1/8/09 5:33 am - Petawawa, Canada
I only know of one person who has tried it... she's on this board, so I'm sure she'll chime in when she sees the thread. As far as I know, she has an okay experience during the program, although it was still costly... but she didn't have weight loss surgery for no reason.

From what I've heard, they expect you to lose so much weight a month... if you don't measure up, they think you're cheating and want to kick you out. I've also heard that if you don't lose according to their standards, they may even ask/tell you to cut out fruit. That is completely hearsay, I've never been told that by anyone who has actually tried the program.
~ Joanne

xoAshleyxo
on 1/8/09 5:35 am - guelph, Canada
Hello...

I know one person who went on it. She lost all of her weight went off the diet and has gained all her weight back within 4 months. I think she almost lost 200 pounds.. She had to go off the diet because of medical problems cause by the diet. They inject B12 and that can cause your body to have kidney problems and that's what happend to her.

I know a person who is on it right now and they have lost 70 pounds. But I don't know how this will all end..

They diet is a starvation diet. It's not very healthy at all...

Take care
Ash

For I Can Do EVERYTHING With The Help Of Christ Who Gives Me The Strength I Need. Philippians 4:13

Karen M.
on 1/8/09 5:45 am - Mississauga, Canada
Been there, done that.

Puts your body into starvation-mode and is very unsafe.  There is no medical value in the vitamin shots that they give you.  You live (sort of) on approx. 700 calories per day.  The cost is HUGE. 

I was chastized for something in my urine levels (I hadn't cheated) and they took away my one pleasure - sugar-free jello.

HAHAHA

Never again, thank GAWD!! 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Dyana
on 1/8/09 6:06 am - Belleville, Ontario, Canada
okay, it seems that its already  been said...

Its just another chalkmark on the wall of yoyo dieting that you will experience before you get serious and make the decision to have the surgery...but  indeed one of the most expensive ones that many can't afford.

Don't Dream It , Be It!!!
Consult: Nov 11,08 *** OOC forms sent: Nov 23, 08 ***Denied: Dec 31,08
Reapplied: January 22, 09 *** Approved: Feb 03, 09 *** Surgery: Apr 21, 09
Start weight 260 - Pre-op weight 239 - Current weight 175.3
birdiegirl
on 1/8/09 6:04 am
On it three times ( slow learner!) - lost almost 100 lbs THREE TIMES only to gain back more each time.
The most humiliating program I have ever been on - only weight loss program that I ever actually "cried" because of. I was kicked out for only losing 1.5 lbs in one week even though I had lost 6 .5 the week prior - hadnt cheated - ketones present - yet made to feel bad by staff.
Now , let me tell you I am a very strong, confident person and do not cry easily - I felt very bad about myself after.
Also - totally screws with your metabolism

Joyce J.
on 1/8/09 6:43 am - Scarborough, Canada
HI there

I am with Bev on this. I did that program, went broke doing it(no joke). It is very expensive. It is very unhealthy, very low in calories.
I lost 80 pounds and once I couldn't afford to go anymore I gained back 100 pounds.
They are not very supportive. The Doctors yell at the clients when they don't lose weight and pretty much say the the clients are lying about what they are eating.
As far as I am concerned the best is Weigh****chers because it is just regular food and portion controlled

Again, like Bev, my 2 cents :)

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Most Active