Well that tares it!

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/17 8:36 am, edited 2/13/17 8:39 am
VSG on 10/11/16

I love to cook.  Even after having my stomach reduced from XXXL to "minuscule", I still enjoy my time in the kitchen.  I am also somewhat impatient when it comes to meal time.  I have a habit of working right up to the point where I need to eat RIGHT NOW.  So if I don't plan ahead I get myself in trouble.  

My solution has been to cook up "vats" of stuff, stick them in the refrigerator, and then have several choices for the next week or so.  Mrs. LittleBillJr is on board with this style of food prep for a lot of the same reasons, so we spend time in the kitchen together as a form of recreation as well as tending to our daily needs.  She is also on board with the whole careful eating plan, and has shed a bunch of pounds herself just supporting me in this WLS stuff.  

One of the things we do is weigh everything when we create a recipe.  This allows us to get a fairly accurate determinations of things like calories, carbs, protein, so on and so forth.  It also helps to determine serving size, although we often combine it with volume measure for that.  

I love to cook, and I hate washing dishes.  But with this weighing thing, I have found myself washing more dishes.  This is mainly because I will stick everything in whatever vessel I am using to create my next culinary masterpiece without weighing it (the vessel, that is).  So I end up dumping stuff in and out of other containers for the purpose of weighing the container itself, and sometimes the particular ingredient, if I forgot that part. 

This morning, I was making up a batch of chicken salad, and it finally dawned on me.  If I were to TARE all my containers, bowls, etc,  I could save myself some time and some elbow grease at the sink.  As of today, I am embarking on a plan to tare each vessel, and store it in the notes section of my smart phone, along with a description of said vessel.  It may not be a big deal, but it made me happy to think of it.  Some of you reading this may say, "I've known that for years!"  Others may say, "That boy's a genuis!"  I am not waiting for the latter.  I am just happy to have hopefully made life a little easier in the kitchen.  Now I am off to put some beef into the dehydrator for jerky.  

dh101
on 3/3/17 10:48 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

I also love to cook.

My scale has a hold button. It even will set zero when I turn on the scale.

what this means is the if I put a plate on the scale, then turn it on zero is now set to ignore that a plate is on the scale. If I then put 3 ounces of meat on the scale, and press the hold button, the scale resets the zero. I can then add 6 ounces of veggies.

You may want to see if your scale will let you do that.

DH

dh101
on 4/13/17 7:19 am
VSG on 06/29/17

I thought I would throw you a photo of a meal I had this week.

Shrimp (ok oxymoron because there was nothing small about it), scallops, cippolinis and asparagus!

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

Most Active