Polenta

Nooner
on 10/26/16 12:41 pm, edited 10/26/16 12:59 pm
RNY on 06/01/16

I am almost 5 months out from RNY and can tolerate just about anything. I was wondering if Polenta is OK to eat. Just looking for something a little different.

Thanks

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/27/16 10:18 am, edited 10/28/16 4:09 am

polenta = carbs I don't eat that unless I am trying to gain weight. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 10/27/16 11:56 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I ate this extensively growing up, with sauce and meat on it.  It's basically italian cream of wheat.  It is pretty carb and calorie dense.  A better substitute is just ricotta.  You can use whole milk ricotta just like polenta. :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/16 8:19 am
RNY on 09/26/16

I have never eaten JUST riccotta.. i am interested in the various recipes I am seeing.How do you eat it?

Donna L.
on 11/1/16 1:19 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You can either use it raw or baked.

For dessert, you can mix it with some dark grated chocolate.  Traditionally, you'd put some sugar in it, almond or lemon extract (or rosewater if Sicilian) and just mix/chill.  Add berries.  You can also make a baked sweet zabaglione like dessert, but I don't see it commonly here in the Midwest.  Basically, you can eat it just like cottage cheese.

I heat it up and put a ragu (italian meat sauce) on it instead of polenta - yep, just ricotta!

I also bake it.  You can use  this recipe from Eggface, for example.  I dice and add pepperoni or ham, too.  It is a nice alternative.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/16 1:46 pm
RNY on 09/26/16

WOW ! thank you!

Tdheason
on 11/7/16 1:15 pm
RNY on 06/27/16

What is Polenta?  Is that something like Grits?

Catek2652
on 11/24/16 3:39 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Yes. Very similar but made with corn meal so even finer in texture.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Catek2652
on 11/24/16 3:37 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Since Polenta is basically cornmeal porridge, it's not recommended. Sort of like eating liquid cornbread. In any case, try riced cauliflower as a side dish.

Just take a head of raw cauliflower and break it up and wa**** Pat dry and then put the chunks in your food processor and pulse until it's rice size. THEN steam it. Don't steam before pulsing it or it turns to mush. I've done that in different ways: microwave with a tablespoon of water in a covered bowl until warm (don't overcook it or it gets mushy). In the oven on about 350 in a covered dish with about two tablespoons of water or broth.

I'm a butter eater as I'm allergic to soy and cannot eat margarine (it ALL has soy oil or soy latticing in it), so I will melt a little butter and salt and pepper over it. I've put tomato sauce on it. I've put cheese in it. I've drizzled a little olive oil and steamed veggies over it. I've even served it with beef gravy. Use it as you would rice or polenta.

Just remember to watch your portion sizes. Get your protein in first. For me this is 2 oz of meat followed by about 1/4 cup of my cauliflower rice with it's topping.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Most Active