PatchMed

MsNikki318
on 10/6/16 8:36 pm - Bastrop, LA, LA
VSG on 10/28/16

Hi everyone. My surgery date is Oct. 28,2016. My process wasn't long. I made up my mind in July and did everything (I had previously been on weight loss diet for 1year). The vitamins that are sold by the dietician are very expensive. I was looking into the patchMed I have seen on advertised. Has anyone tried them? Or know any chewables that are tasty enough,and affordable or even purchased with snap benefits.

Also shajes ,bars ? Any suggestions for soups or broths.

Donna L.
on 10/9/16 2:40 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

SNAP benefits can't be used for vitamins or meds.  Only food.  I'm not sure about protein/protein shakes.  I know for sure they don't cover vitamins.

There are many options for bariatric vitamins.  You do not need to buy them from the dietician.  Needs are different depending on your surgery.  The VSG probably has the most latitude, since we don't need dry ADEK vitamins, which DS patients may need.  Many people use the chewable Centrum vitamins which you can get at Walmart and are more inexpensive.  I use the ProCare bariatric vitamins since I know they are gluten free, and add calcium citrate and vitamin D.  I would not get inferior vitamins to save money.  They are the worst place to skimp, really, since (depending again on the surgery), the consequences for inadequate vitamins can be severe.

As for protein shakes, many people use the premier protein ready to drink shakes.  I use syntrax nectar tea powder whey protein isolate, and also optimum nutrition chocolate whey protein isolate.  That really depends on preference. :)  I used the Unjury chicken broth protein powder right after surgery for a change of pace, too.  Many of us avoid bars, and right after surgery they are often too dense.  After surgery some use them and some do not.  I try to avoid them because I almost always overeat if I use bars, while I do not with protein powder.  I'm not sure why.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Lauraloutoo
on 10/9/16 7:28 pm
VSG on 10/24/16

I'm in MA and I'm able to buy a bunch of pro5ein shakes and powders with my SNAP benefits but the other poster was right that you can't buy vitamins with snap. If buying protein, look for products with "nutrition facts" versus "supplement facts" and you should be fine.  Good for you for taking the reigns to get better despite limited funds!  I'm in the same boat.

MsNikki318
on 10/10/16 8:16 pm - Bastrop, LA, LA
VSG on 10/28/16

Thanky you I will start looking into that in the morning. I'm going to start with their vitamins for compliance. I am.already on a regimen. But I use GnC brand and Muscle milk whey protein shake. I'm not in love with it so what ever meets my needs and has nutritional facts I will be trying. I start my liquid diet on the 14, I'm freaking out! Soon many emotions,lol.

Cali08
on 10/10/16 2:42 pm

What is the PatchMed? I just got a sample of something that may be similar and I loved it! If your talking vitamins and help for weight loss. 

MsNikki318
on 10/10/16 8:21 pm - Bastrop, LA, LA
VSG on 10/28/16

patchMd.com It was a sponsored advertisement on this site. They are vitamin patches,instead of pills,capsules etc. And the price is actually more reasonable than the vitamins I have been instructed to try..I am practical nurse,so I know transdermal patches deliver medicines just as pills. And the convenience! totally awesome..I have been doing research and I think I'm gona give them a try. I have been taking vitamins,for a few years,but the patches I have never thought to try. If u have some sample please let me know how you came by them..I am contacting the patchMD site to see if they give a free sample. 

Cali08
on 10/10/16 9:25 pm

Wow. So I just looked it up that's pretty cool! Are you just looking for the vitamin patch or something else? 

Most Active