Pre-Surgery and First week Post Op Questions

Spectra13
on 8/31/16 4:59 pm
VSG on 09/19/16

Hi. I am new here!  Surgery is scheduled Sept 19th.  I start my pre-op diet on the 5th.  Trying to figure this out.  I sent for Unjury sample pack.  Few questions.

I noticed other Protein powders have way more protein in them (Unjury has 21g) I have seen them up to 35grams.  I am thinking my Dr is pushing Unjury and Premier because they get a cut back of some kind?  Or are they really BETTER for you? 

Are you guys using the pre-mixed Protein drinks you can get at Wal-Mart/Target?  I just don't see myself drinking one of those for a meal...or am I not thinking of these drinks in the correct way??  I am thinking Protein drinks for each of my 3 meals a day??

I don't understand why other than protein powder drinks, the other protein they suggest you can have is found in broth and soup.  All soup and broth I have seen is SUPER high in salt.  But they tell you to eat the broth, most bariatric patients have other issues that require low salt....  You can get lower sodium, but it tastes like trash.  I am again, confused here.

Why does the post-op clear liquid diet not list protein powder drinks?  Don't you need protein to survive?  I am asking my Dr this also. I am obviously, confused.

And finally, how do I add a little timer on the bottom of my page showing my weight loss? Ha!  Thank you to anyone who can offer some advice!

tracy O.
on 9/3/16 10:30 am - shelby

I am considering revision to RNY from VBG I can't swallow meats very well and often throw them up so to get my protein in I drink the premier protein drinks and eat the bars 30g of protein in the drink and 20-30 in the bars and I really do like them I get mine at walmart

VBG 2004 SW: 360   CW:260   GOAL WEIGHT: 150 - LOOKING INTO RNY

" LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS.....IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN "

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/5/16 6:26 am

Your doc may or may not get kickback from the comanies, but both of those products are ok. 

As for "protein soups"- Even though they are higher in salt - since you will not have just the soups for all meals ' it may be a great "meal" that is not sweet.  Plus we need some sodium.  With other protein shakes there is so little of that - that often people find out they start getting dizzy, get muscle cramps, etc...unless the add some salt to the diet. At 8 years post op - I have to remember to add salt to my meals. I don't eat a lot and some foods - snacks are really low so unless I add the salt I don't get enough sodium in my diet. 

Sodium keeps the water in and helps with low blood pressure, ortostatic hypotention (getting dizzy or pasing out when you get up too fast from a sitting position) , and helps with  muscle cramps. 

Too much sodium is bad - not enough for a long time - can kil you. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

steph_foodcoachme
on 9/14/16 6:18 pm

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! I'm a dietitian and while every program is different, I thought I'd weigh in too. When it comes to protein it's not always a "more is better" situation. The reason Unjury is often recommended is because it's a whey isolate which has better absorption into the body. The body only absorbs about 30 grams of protein at once so a product that has 35 grams of protein isn't necessarily better. There are plenty of products that are also good but I know for myself it's easier if I give patients a few specific names instead of overwhelming them with too many options :) 

Every program is different so we all may have a different experience with what the post-op liquid diet is they are recommending. Yes, you do need protein to survive but the body has protein reserves to use until you are back on protein food/drinks. A protein deficiency isn't something that comes until way down the road. You do want to increase protein intake as your diet progresses but it's not unsafe if they have you wait. 

I agree with H.a.l.a. B's last comment regarding sodium too. You do need some and when you are on a liquid diet, you aren't getting it from anywhere else. 

GREAT questions as you embark on this journey! Wishing you all the best!! 

catwoman7
on 9/21/16 6:37 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Unjury is a well-respected product.  Like the above poster said, it's 100% whey protein isolate, which is well absorbed.  We were told to stick to 100% whey protein isolate early on.  Some of those other protein drinks may be blends, which aren't as well absorbed.  I do drink blends occasionally now at 16 months out because I'm getting most, if not all, of my protein from food, but that's not the case in the early weeks and months.  

Syntrax Nectar products are also 100% whey protein isolate, FYI.  Lots of people use and like those, too.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Clamcake65
on 10/3/16 4:25 pm
VSG on 10/17/16

Hi,

I just started my pre op diet today.

My, VSG, is sceduled for Oct. 17.

The diet, I have to follow allows one meal a day.

4 oz. protein and non starchy veggies.

Fruits for snacks, 64 oz. water,  3 protein drinks.

I feel bloated and gassy after drinking the Premier 15.

Good luck.

Nancy

Clamcake65
on 10/4/16 12:21 pm
VSG on 10/17/16

How, are things going, after your surgery?

Most Active