Diet plan for diabetic patient

inflyn76
on 7/19/16 5:15 am

My dad is a diabetic patient. He was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes few years back. He is not maintaining any proper diet. Can anyone recommend a good diet plan for type 2 diabetic patient? 

hollykim
on 7/19/16 1:57 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 19, 2016 at 12:15 PM Pacific Time, inflyn76 wrote:

My dad is a diabetic patient. He was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes few years back. He is not maintaining any proper diet. Can anyone recommend a good diet plan for type 2 diabetic patient? 

this is really a question for his doctor

inflyn76
on 7/20/16 1:47 am
On July 19, 2016 at 8:57 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:
On July 19, 2016 at 12:15 PM Pacific Time, inflyn76 wrote:

this is really a question for his doctor

Thank you for the reply holly. I will ask his doctor. 

steph_foodcoachme
on 7/28/16 12:15 pm

Yep, certainly check with his health team but the great news here is that a bariatric diet is very compatible to a post-op diet! Keeping starches and sweets very limited with more emphasis on lean protein and vegetables. While his portions of course would be "regular" and not bariatric sized- an eating plan that you follow will is likely to line up with what his doctor recommends!

One thing I will say is that it's delicate to encourage loved ones to make healthy choices when they really aren't interested themselves. The best thing you can do is talk positively about how great you feel since you've been making healthy choices rather than being hard on someone else to change. Allow your positive experience to rub off and hopefully that loved one will come to you when they are ready. Best of luck to you and best of health to you both!

ttfan
on 8/4/16 3:34 am
RNY on 08/15/16

I am diabetic and I never eat anything white except for cauliflower, no bread, no pasta, no rice, no potatoes.  I do eat a lot of zoodles, yummy, zucchini put through a spiralizer.  for me any bread, pasta or rice will spike my sugar

Most Active