Liquids before/during meal

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 9:19 am

They are cool. They are very smart dogs. They are selective when it comes to hearing.  

Boxerlover3452
on 7/11/16 11:41 am
RNY on 06/06/16

OMGosh they are adorable.  I would just so kiss them on the lips.  So beautiful.  do you breed them?

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 12:55 pm

I say the same thing about other dogs. That I want to kiss them on the lips. It is funny that you said that. 

I don't breed them. I would end up with fifty dogs. I wouldn't be able to part with them. When I got Bell the tri-color she was the only one. When I got the other two they were two other dogs but they were spoken for. I am not sure what would happen if there was more than one. 

I would come home with two or three. 

zann50
on 8/21/16 5:15 am

There is just something about bassethounds....they make me want to snuggle.  They are hard to turn down!

travsis3890
on 7/12/16 2:37 am

I haven't found any evidence that it washes down the food. The opening to the small intestine from stomach is really narrow. How can water simply wash down food from stomach without the food getting properly churned in it? I cannot find it anywhere online.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/12/16 10:16 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Try using the search feature & look up Frisco's old posts about the pyloric valve. In a nutshell when you drink fluids this valve opens up to let the liquids out of the stomach into the intestines. When you eat food the valve closes so the stomach starts to digest & break down the food into smaller pieces leaving you to feel fuller longer, once you start drinking water you open the valve back up & the stomach empties out, leaving you hungrier sooner than if you just left it alone, plus you'll be able to eat more.

Hence why you should wait at least a half hour b4 drinking again.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

chevtow41
on 8/21/16 5:15 am
DS on 11/11/14

No pyloric valve with the RNY

Grim_Traveller
on 7/12/16 10:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On July 12, 2016 at 9:37 AM Pacific Time, travsis3890 wrote:

I haven't found any evidence that it washes down the food. The opening to the small intestine from stomach is really narrow. How can water simply wash down food from stomach without the food getting properly churned in it? I cannot find it anywhere online.

The evidence is clear, and the process is very well studied and understood. It really is one of the basic tenets of WLS. The number one thing those with significant regain have in common -- besides the fact they eat too many calories -- is drinking with meals.

The "full" feeling that anyone gets, WLS or not, comes about because our stomachs expand, triggering a nerve that sends a signal to our brain. All of that can take about 20 minutes, which is why no one, WLS or not, should eat too fast. We can be full before the signal arrives.

Drinking during eating washes the food out of our pouches, and can open the pyloric valve in sleevers. It takes about 30 minutes for our pouches or sleeves to empty on their own, so if you drink within 30 minutes of eating, the food washes through, the full feeling never gets sent, and we are hungry still. Which causes us to eat more, or at least cause cravings.

Liquid calories or slider foods pass right through our stomachs, so they fail to cause expansion, also leaving us hungry and craving more.

All of this is why dense protein produces greater satiety, leading us to eat less in the course of a day. Drinking would negate that advantage.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

travsis3890
on 7/12/16 11:52 pm

I guess it is possible that I am misinformed, but I still need to research more about it before coming to a final conclusion.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/13/16 3:45 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On July 13, 2016 at 6:52 AM Pacific Time, travsis3890 wrote:

I guess it is possible that I am misinformed, but I still need to research more about it before coming to a final conclusion.

Research it if you like, but the facts above are as certain as the turning of the earth. 

You posted a link above with some "research" saying that drinking with meals is good for your health. It unequivocally is NOT good for WLSers who hope to lose weight and keep it off.

The choice is yours. I imagine you can find "research" to support anything. Heck, I know of one study that says chocolate cake makes you lose weight. But if you want to lose and keep it off, you won't drink during or after meals.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active