2 weeks post op RNY; another person concerned about stretching pouch with liquids!

aceofspades
on 5/21/16 1:57 am

Hello.  I had RNY surgery on 12 May 2016 and have been on a clear liquid diet since being discharged from hospital.  Except, my surgeon wanted me to consume protein shakes (with water, not milk) to supplement the clear liquids during that first phase.  I just hit the phase today where I am able to consume pureed foods and am wondering if I have overdone it or something.

I can currently drink 8 ounces of water with no problem; I can drink this in about 2 minutes.  I can pretty much drink as much water as I want to, it is almost like I never even had the surgery.  Basically, I can almost drink 8 ounce cups of water back-to-back.  I have read that one cannot stretch their pouch from drinking liquids--but really?  Is this normal?  Can it be harmful to consume so many liquids like this?  Aside from water intoxication, which isn't really a possibility..

I also had some general questions about how much I should be able to eat at one time.  I've been reading that people feel full after eating 2-4 ounces, but my pureed food is liquid-based, and it would seem that I could consume more than those  2-4 ounces.  I'm wondering if that 2-4 ounce guideline, is more for solid , chewed food?   Or perhaps I am watering my food down with too much liquid... and that is why it feels less filling.  

If anybody wants to post their sample diet plans in this as well, that would be of great help.  I'm currently subsiding on Whey Isolate Protein and as much water as I can handle.  

Donna L.
on 5/21/16 8:02 pm, edited 5/21/16 1:03 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I could actually drink quite a bit after surgery, however, that doesn't mean it's a prudent idea.  I would follow the requirements set for surgery.  The nerve endings in the stomach are cut, so discomfort is not a good gauge of ability for some time.  Even now, I only feel discomfort after severely overeating 11 months out (though I think that may be more atypical).  

You won't stretch the stomach.  A bigger issue is creating a bleed or causing damage to the new anatomy.  Many studies I've read talk about how it's the esophagus that stretches more than the stomach itself.  Now, I'm more familiar with the VSG.  However, even with the RnY I'd argue that it's very hard to stretch the pouch too, since that part of the stomach made from it is not very stretchy to begin with.  You'd probably have to overeat consistently to the point of illness for a very long time.  It's more likely you'd stretch or damage the esophagus, which is far less sturdy than the stomach tissue.  Rather than stretching, it's more likely food and liquid will back up into your esophagus.  

You don't use your pyloric valve any longer due to the surgery, so I'd imagine that liquid just goes through.  It's not too surprising that you can drink eaisly.  The opening is small so it partially stops food. 

I would be careful though, because with the RNY there isn't just the new pouch to worry about, but also the bypassed and new intestinal junctions which are delicate.  As for the other guidelines, might want to post or ask on the RNY forms. :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active