Nutrition help

Sburks2763
on 5/1/16 8:39 pm
VSG on 12/01/15

I need help I have lost 81 pounds since surgery in December. The vitamins make me sick, I can't slow down weight loss! Been using vitamins patches from patch md. Protein shakes are nasty, I need some ideas on how to get more food in when I can't eat but 4-7 bites of food. Nutritionist wants me to add healthy fats but I can't eat any more than I do without throwing up. Anything will help at this point.

ladygodiva1228
on 5/2/16 5:31 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On May 2, 2016 at 3:39 AM Pacific Time, Sburks2763 wrote:

I need help I have lost 81 pounds since surgery in December. The vitamins make me sick, I can't slow down weight loss! Been using vitamins patches from patch md. Protein shakes are nasty, I need some ideas on how to get more food in when I can't eat but 4-7 bites of food. Nutritionist wants me to add healthy fats but I can't eat any more than I do without throwing up. Anything will help at this point.

Have you spoken with your surgeon regarding struggling to eat without throwing up? 

Are you currently measuring and weighing what you eat? 

Can you post what and how much you are eating in a day?

Some of the vets here will be able to chime in and help you out if they know what your current daily menu looks like. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Sburks2763
on 5/2/16 4:02 pm
VSG on 12/01/15

Today I had about 6 small bites of scramble egg with cheese and maybe 1/2 tsp of yogurt for breakfast  that's all I can eat. Lunch about 4 quarter size  chicken bites.  I just don't feel like this is enough... Nutritionist say just add healthy fats but if I can't get the food in how can I stop loosing weight! Protein shakes are nasty and I can't drink them, trying protein bars in afternoon but with trying to drink and also add protein I can't spend all day eating... I have to work too!!!  Frustrating to say the least I try not to cheat.

Sburks2763
on 5/2/16 4:04 pm
VSG on 12/01/15

When I throw up is usually not food just froth... Dry heave for a bit too!!! 

steph_foodcoachme
on 7/7/16 9:03 am

Try cutting your bites up smaller. When the bite is too big it can get stuck at the upper portion of your pouch which makes you full after just a few bites and also causes "frothing" which is typically mucous trying to get the stuck food to move through. Cut your bites up before you eat to the size of a peanut and go slowly. Worth a shot!! Might help you to get in those healthy fats too.

White Dove
on 5/11/16 6:26 am - Warren, OH

You are eating more than I did at 6 months after surgery.  You do understand that the weight loss after surgery is a honeymoon period.  Your sleeve will grow larger and be comfortable with more food.

Your appetite will increase and you will regain some of your lost weight.  My surgeon recommends getting to ten, twenty or even thirty pounds under his goal while in the honeymoon period.

The Bounceback weight that accumulates after the honeymoon period ends is very difficult to lose.  A quick gain of 20 pounds is very common.

Your nutritionist may not be an expert in surgical weight loss.  The advise you are being given would be good for "normal" people who need to stop losing weight, but it is not good advice for people who have had weight loss surgery.

I had about a year when I was underweight and looked too skinny.  I enjoyed that year.  The weight came back quickly when my body decided it was ready to gain again. 

Now I must be very careful not to gain weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active