Diet and Stall

MelodyMay
on 4/13/16 2:34 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

When I was in the hospital my surgeon told me that I would feel a pressure in my chest when I am full. So, that has been the gauge I have been going by. I don't know why I am able to eat more than a 1/2 cup of food. I haven't been able to eat even 1/3 of my plate, but it is definitely more than 1/2 a cup.

I tried measuring only 1/2 a cup or weighing my proteins, but I don't feel full or satisfied. I figured I should just eat until I felt that pressure but it's really rare. There have only been a few times where I've gotten too full and I think that comes with eating a bit too fast. Now I put the fork down between bites and chew, chew, chew.

Anyway, I was just hoping for some words of encouragement and/or advice. I am in a 3 week stall and I really think this has something to do with it.

Thanks.  

Melody

HW: 394 SW: 359 GW: 187

ladygodiva1228
on 4/14/16 5:51 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On April 13, 2016 at 9:34 PM Pacific Time, MelodyMay wrote:

When I was in the hospital my surgeon told me that I would feel a pressure in my chest when I am full. So, that has been the gauge I have been going by. I don't know why I am able to eat more than a 1/2 cup of food. I haven't been able to eat even 1/3 of my plate, but it is definitely more than 1/2 a cup.

I tried measuring only 1/2 a cup or weighing my proteins, but I don't feel full or satisfied. I figured I should just eat until I felt that pressure but it's really rare. There have only been a few times where I've gotten too full and I think that comes with eating a bit too fast. Now I put the fork down between bites and chew, chew, chew.

Anyway, I was just hoping for some words of encouragement and/or advice. I am in a 3 week stall and I really think this has something to do with it.

Thanks.  

I wouldn't eat until I felt pressure in my chest.  That is  a good way to over eat and eat extra calories.  I know some on here eat until they feel full, but it really isn't recommended.

What does your daily meals look like?  Are you eating dense protein first?

Something that my surgeon has in the post-op guide is a thing called water loading.  I am not recommending anyone do it without speaking to their own surgeon, but mine approves of doing it.

It says to drink as much water as you can comfortably handle 45mins before your planned meal.  15 minutes before you eat stop the water intake.  What it does is "stretches" the pouch and gives the feeling of satiety, this in turn limits how much you eat.  I have done it when I am feeling stressed and head hunger tries to get the best of me.  It helps me get all my fluids in and keeps me feeling full with dense protein I eat afterwards.

Another suggestion is measure out the 1/2 cup of dense protein and eat it slowly wait a few minutes after finishing the 1/2 cup.  If you truly feel hungry still measure out another 1/2 cup of dense protein, but no matter how "hungry" you feel after eating the second 1/2 cup do not eat any more.  I know its hard to do, but the only way to continue to lose weight is to limit the amount of calories we are taking in. 

I myself have stalled and I know it is because I have slacked on my tracking and measuring.  I am going all meat and water to get losing again.   

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

steph_foodcoachme
on 7/8/16 1:05 pm

I agree to focus on lean protein foods first! They are the most filling foods. To be honest, I wouldn't be overly concerned if you can eat more than 1/2 cup of food as long as it's the right foods. If you make your meals 2/3 lean solid protein and 1/3 non-starchy vegetables...it doesn't matter how much you eat because it's the right foods for weight loss and hunger control. Eat two bites of the lean meat for every one bite of vegetable and stop at your personal feeling that you are satisfied and are done. I've had many, many patients have TONS of success even if they ate more than a cup of food at a meal because it was the RIGHT food! Eat soft, high carb foods and you'll be able to intake larger portions and get hungry more often.

Also, it's better to fill up with what you need 3 meals per day than to get hungry in between meals and fall into snacking! Stalls are SOOOO normal and the #1 phone call I get in my office. Keep a food journal and keep up with walking and water...and you'll see it through soon :)

Best of luck!!

Most Active