Best of the best

A-Alford0987
on 2/29/16 5:27 pm

What are the best protein powders? Vitamins to take after surgery? Foods for post op? 

Advice for getting required water after surgery?

What you actually used in the hospital? 

Anything else you can think of to help.

brenlee1965
on 3/1/16 7:21 am - New Berlin, NY
The only protein powder that I have had that I really like was Lean Shake by GNC. The price isn't too bad and they always have good sales.....Plus they have flavors. I take Centrum Silver multivitamin because it has the required 200% of the vitamins that RNY patients need in ONE pill. I take Citracal with vitamin D for my calcium (3x daily), B12 sublingual(meaning it is liquid)-1x daily, and Iron with a vitamin C tablet (1x daily). I struggled terribly with getting my fluids in on a daily basis and still do. I was so worried about that, but never lost all or a ton of hair or anything or become dehydrated---so I was okay. They gave me liquid pain meds at the hospital (no protein stuff). They gave me sugar-free jello to make sure I could eat (although, once home I just drank water, mostly......and protein drink as I could tolerate)....to be honest, I slept most of the time (I am such a baby regarding pain). I slept most of the time at the hospital except the last day---when they forced me to walk the halls. Went home in my nightgown and got home & took pain meds & immediately went to bed.
 Bren                
catwoman7
on 3/1/16 10:19 am
RNY on 06/03/15

you're bound to get 100 different answers regarding protein powders.  People's tastes are really different.  My two favorite brands are Syntrax and Unjury.  You might want to pick up some sample packets of different protein powders to find some you like - then you won't end up buying a huge tub of something you hate.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

A-Alford0987
on 3/1/16 11:31 am

Thanks for the suggestions!!!! 

dog_hair_dinner
on 3/4/16 6:51 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I can't tell you the "best", only what I use and enjoy.  My dietician recommended Premier Protein shakes.  They come in little juice boxes.  The recommendation could have been because of availability in my region as well as the nutritional contents.  

It has 30g of protein per shake, 5g carbs, 3g fat.  The dietician wanted me on less than 6g carbs and less than 4g fat per shake, so these worked out.

I'm taking the Opurity multivitamin in the morning and their calcium citrate for lunch and dinner (I'm 3 days post-op).  The dietician said she's going to ask me to add b12 later, but not for now.  Iron also comes later.  They said they'll let me know.

Getting water down has been relatively easy for me.  I take small sips and can get down about 500ml in an hour.  I need 2L a day, whi*****ludes my protein shakes.

In the hospital, the first night, I was given 30ml cups and a glass of water.  I was to drink 30ml ever 20 minutes. No issues there.

The next morning, they gave me half and half water and apple juice.  Same 30ml ever 20 minutes, then they took my blood.  I think the apple juice was for measuring my blood sugar levels.  Not really sure.

At home, I just use apple juice to get my crushed meds down, but otherwise I'm on protein shakes and water right now.

For the water, I don't do the 30 ml thing. I just sip at it like the dietician told me to do.  I stop if I feel discomfort, wait a bit, then continue.

Most Active