Protein drinks? I can't drink them??

Void
on 1/13/16 11:22 am

I'm going to my second to last pre-op appointment tomorrow and the last appointment I had, my dietician, told me that she wanted me to log how much protein I was getting and told me to shoot for 60 grams a day. I have been really struggling with that and would like to start drinking protein drinks. I heard a lot of vsg patients do that after surgery and it helped a lot. But I also saw a post that said I can't and don't do that. 

My question is did your dietician let you drink protein drinks pre op? Do you still drink them post op? 

hollykim
on 1/13/16 12:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 13, 2016 at 7:22 PM Pacific Time, Void wrote:

I'm going to my second to last pre-op appointment tomorrow and the last appointment I had, my dietician, told me that she wanted me to log how much protein I was getting and told me to shoot for 60 grams a day. I have been really struggling with that and would like to start drinking protein drinks. I heard a lot of vsg patients do that after surgery and it helped a lot. But I also saw a post that said I can't and don't do that. 

My question is did your dietician let you drink protein drinks pre op? Do you still drink them post op? 

why are you having trouble eating that much protein pre op?

Void
on 1/13/16 1:22 pm

I'm using Lean Cuisines for lunch and sometimes dinner and they max about 20 grams of protein. It's hard for me to get the protein all in without stuffing myself with cups of green beans or something. 

hollykim
on 1/13/16 4:49 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 13, 2016 at 9:22 PM Pacific Time, Void wrote:

I'm using Lean Cuisines for lunch and sometimes dinner and they max about 20 grams of protein. It's hard for me to get the protein all in without stuffing myself with cups of green beans or something. 

green beans don't have protein and Lean Cuisines are too carby and really just junk food with little protein.

why not cook real steak,chicken fish etc and get your protein from 2-3 servings of that ?

Void
on 1/13/16 5:39 pm

Well they have a little bit of protein. It's not very easy for me to be able to do grocery shopping, my mother does it all, as I'm still 17 and living with my other 5 family members. My dietician actually recommend Lean Cuisines and I really like them so I'd rather stick to them. I do ask my mother to buy most things I need but it's not enough for all my protein. And the food she gets for the rest of the family is all normal stuff. The Lean Cuisines are cheap so it's easy for her to grab them for me.

I manage 20 grams of protein in the morning, lean cuisine for lunch and dinner, and I usually end up at around 49 grams of protein. I just need to lock in the rest of them.

So if you have any advice for that part, that'd be great. 

ChemistryQueen
on 1/14/16 12:56 am
VSG on 01/11/16

As far as I've heard from the few dietitians that work with my surgeon, protein shakes are pretty much essential in the beginning stages of post-op! I just had my VSG surgery on Monday, and I will be able to start drinking protein shakes on Friday, so 3 full days after surgery. (These 3 days have been clear liquids, the next stage-full liquids- is when I can start the shakes.)

However, I don't want to give you any advice that might not hold true for YOUR particular surgeon. Please ask your dietitian directly!

If the case is you are encouraged to explore protein shakes, I highly recommend the pre-mixed Premier Protein shakes that you can find at Costco. 30g of protein in one shake, plus a ton of vitamins as well. And the chocolate tastes like a Yoohoo and the strawberry cream tastes like strawberry milk! Best shakes I've found so far. Good luck with your journey!

Highest Weight: 385 (09/2014)

Surgery Weight: 331 (1/2016)

Current Weight: 157.4 (7/2017)

-VSG with Dr. Erik Dutson at UCLA on 1/11/2016-

-Brachioplasty (Arm Lift) and Abdominplasty (Tummy Tuck) with Dr. Jason Roostaeian at UCLA on 8/23/2017

Want to WATCH me on my journey? Check out my youtube channel HERE!!

alouisa63
on 1/14/16 8:34 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Adding a greek yogurt or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese will easily boost your protein.  One yogurt can have anywhere from 9-14grams  of protein(about 100 calories).  Low fat cheese sticks can give you 10-12 grams of protein for two (about 100 calories for 2) and these are easy things for your mom to pick up for you.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Donna L.
on 1/14/16 7:58 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

We can drink shapes pre-op... in fact a lot of us have a liquid diet for two weeks which is primarily protein shakes.  I still drink them post-op, as well, though just once a day now.  What matters though is what your own nutritionist says.  All of our providers have differing plans.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 1/29/16 3:25 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I drank protein shakes pre-op, and I drink them post-op too.  I like my morning breakfast shake.  Just be sure to read the ingredients - it should be whey protein isolate and the carbs should be in the less than 5 range.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Void
on 3/1/16 6:00 am

Thank you all so much! 

Most Active