Everyone isn't the same.

Runtschewyapple
on 1/9/16 7:44 am

I want to vent. I thought the point of all the support groups online and in person was to motivate each other and support everyone. I had my surgery dec 1 and I feel like when I turn to these groups for some advice I get told I shouldn't have had the surgery if I didn't want it or I don't care about myself Bc I don't eat. Since I had the surgery I can't hold anything down. I drink orange juice sometimes and sometimes a taco. And yes I did start trying fast food but Bc I couldn't seem to cook anything that stayed in me. Now I have no fast food that stays in me other than a taco. And yes if I had known how sick I would be after I wouldn't have done it. My days are spent with wearing a nausea patch and I take 6 pills a day to lose the nausea long enough to get something in. But I'm not sabotaging myself I just feel at a loss as to what to try or what to do. Sorry for my long post but I need advice and I need it from objective people. Thanks in advance

hollykim
on 1/9/16 9:39 am, edited 1/9/16 1:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 9, 2016 at 3:44 PM Pacific Time, Runtschewyapple wrote:

I want to vent. I thought the point of all the support groups online and in person was to motivate each other and support everyone. I had my surgery dec 1 and I feel like when I turn to these groups for some advice I get told I shouldn't have had the surgery if I didn't want it or I don't care about myself Bc I don't eat. Since I had the surgery I can't hold anything down. I drink orange juice sometimes and sometimes a taco. And yes I did start trying fast food but Bc I couldn't seem to cook anything that stayed in me. Now I have no fast food that stays in me other than a taco. And yes if I had known how sick I would be after I wouldn't have done it. My days are spent with wearing a nausea patch and I take 6 pills a day to lose the nausea long enough to get something in. But I'm not sabotaging myself I just feel at a loss as to what to try or what to do. Sorry for my long post but I need advice and I need it from objective people. Thanks in advance

how far out of surgery are you? Are you able to get as much liquid as possible every day? Dehydration causes nausea. If you get dehydrated then you get nauseated and can't drink which makes you more dehydrated which makes you more nauseate. It becomes a vicious cycle. 

Oh just say you had surgery dec 1. You might need to go to the er for IV fluids which will help resolve the dehydration so you can start really drinking. Don't worry about food right now,you can live a long time without food. Dehydration can be deadly.

Runtschewyapple
on 1/9/16 10:14 am

I was dehydrated and went to the hospital and got that sorted, I just went back to see my surgeon Monday Bc I can't stomach anything. It all either gave me diarrhea or made me throw up. He said my body has been way too long without enough food and is causing the nausea to try and eat more frequently. I did his week I tried eating twice a day and everything I ate gave me diarrhea or I threw up except a taco or orange juice. He said try and stick with protein but to just get something in. I'm feeling hopeless sometimes Bc I have tried food on the list and food off the list and I am starting to wonder if I'll ever be happy eating again 

tonya2741
on 1/11/16 10:02 am

I had my surgery on Nov. 23, 2015, and at about 1 1/2 weeks out, I started to have nausea which kept me from eating, very much like you. It was the worst feeling I'd ever felt, and I was really discouraged and full of regret for having had the surgery. After several days of suffering, I called my doctor who had prescribed compazine, an anti-nausea drug, before I'd even had my surgery (apparently, nausea is quite common after bariatric surgery). The compazine was a life-saver. I was finally able to eat pureed foods, then soft foods. About 10 days later, I stopped taking the compazine to see how I felt, and I felt fine - no nausea. I was lucky. The nurse told me that some patients can feel nausea for several months. I've had nausea a couple of times since then, but those times were when I'd eaten something I shouldn't have eaten - like fried foods or sugary foods. 

Many of the people in this group have already had the surgery and are experienced in what works and what doesn't. You're right, everyone is NOT the same, but the foods you're eating are, according to my nutritionist, doctor, nurse, and every bariatric eating website I've visited (ALOT), on the restricted list at this point in your recovery period. The meat, cheese, and veggies are good choices. Maybe try the taco without the shell? And reduced sugar orange juice? I know for me, what to eat and how much is a learning process. Every day is a learning experience. Just know that it does get better with time. 

While I understand your frustration, please know people aren't trying to judge you. Some use the tough love approach, some use a more gentle approach. But know that however the message is delivered, it's meant to help you. I hope you feel better soon. 

HW: 246; VGS: 11/23/15 Dr. Joel Sebastien; SW: 226; GW: 130; CW: 166  

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." Fred DeVito                 "Perhaps, this very instant is your time." Louise Bogan

"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today." Karen Lamb 

Donna L.
on 1/14/16 8:13 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Fast food is very hard on me post-op even six months out.  Even good choices cause nausea for me (bunless stuff, etc) unless it's the more expensive and less processed kind. Fast food also has lots of filler sometimes, and is cooked in oil that's been used over and over for many other meals - it's highly oxidized.  It's also been sitting around potentially, and so the bacteria count may be higher than food we cook at home.  If you have a histamine intolerance, generally it's better to eat freshly made food versus fast food, and to not eat leftovers sometimes.  I have horrible nausea and stomach pain if I don't freeze my leftovers now.  

What were you cooking before you switched?  What has the surgeon said about the nausea and being unable to eat?

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Runtschewyapple
on 1/15/16 5:33 am

I obviously ate out a lot but I cooked at home a lot also and it was things like hamburger steak, lots of baked chicken, vegetables, steamed rice, once in a while I like tysons chicken fries baked with Mac and cheese. I can't eat any of that now or fast food. The dr says it's Bc I'm so far behind with protein that i just have to start eating even if it's not something I want to eat. When I hear that it makes me just want my stomach back so I can eat what I want. It's been so long it feels like with not feeling good that I would rather just be fat

SDenae
on 1/22/16 10:10 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Are you on something for stomach acid (Protonix, Prevacid, etc.)? If not, it could it be that you need to be on one of those.

Are you drinking protein shakes? If not, and you can keep them down, that might be a better option for you at this point in time. Maybe your stomach's trying to tell you that it hasn't healed enough for solid foods?

Good luck to you. I hope you find the answer that you need and can't get back to a more normal life.

((Hugs))

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

AKD40
on 1/23/16 4:57 pm

Have you spoken with your surgeon? I had issues with nasusea and vomiting and my Dr did an Edg and stretched the opening to my pouch. He also put me on ptotonix and carafate.

CathyWray
on 1/30/16 6:59 am - Madison, TN

I hope you are feeling better.  Orange juice is pretty tough on the stomach unless you are adding a lot of water and making it crazy weak.  I would try just the protein shakes. GNC has a really good one that is very watery and I could tolerate it better than the ones you blend.  Later I did the blended ones.  What about just a liquid diet for a  bit?  Don't listen to the negative people.  You will get through this and be fine. Do keep venting. 

Most Active