Just ate French fries...surgery is in 4 days

Caligirl05
on 12/13/15 11:17 pm

I didn't mean to do it. I am on my pre-op diet. I can have one sensible meal a day. I was out with my family and forgot my protein powder so I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich minus the bun. They served me fries, but of course I wasn't going to eat them. But, then I got to talking and laughing....and I ate the fries! I honestly never thought I was one of those mindless eaters, but there I was, halfway through the French fries before I even realized what I was doing! I am so upset and worried that just wrecked everything. 

I only am supposed to do the clear liquid diet for 2 days prior but maybe, due to my mistake, I should do it for the next 3 days to be safe? Should I let my doctor know?  I am just beside myself. I cannot believe that I just did that without even thinking about it! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/14/15 1:08 pm

live and learn.  You will be fine. Just don't do that no more. 

Even now, I may try to eat mindlessly..  but I know better.  If I notice I start snacking on things I am not suppose to - I either put them somewhere out of my reach ..or dump stuff on them (i.e. like lots of salt) to make them inedible for me..  Dumping stuff on my BF plate also works.. He on the other hand only eats what he wants... and not single bite more (most of the time). 

now I can have water by my meal when I eat and not drink it... but first yearpost op - I would ty to drink water while eating...if it was there... ..   

So I had to make a very conscious decision to tell waiter no water or other drinks... (they still insisted) Live and learn.

Now - I tell them no fries or other grains, pasta or any other starches..  due to low carb diet and more of us ordering that way - it is getting easier... 

Last night I had grilled chicken with grilled veggies...sauce on a side. I was able to eat almost half of my meal... over 7 years out...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Caligirl05
on 12/14/15 8:57 pm

Thank you Hala B! You're 7 years out so I really appreciate your advice. I know not drinking water with my meals will be a HUGE change for me, but I hadn't even thought of asking for it not to be brought to me at a table! Thank you! Excellent advice! You probably saved me on that one! As for the mindless eating, I didn't think I ever did that....but there I just did. I guess it's better to realize that before surgery right? 

I called my nurse and she said not to worry as long as I followed the 2-day clear diet beforehand. I still put myself on the clear diet one day early to be safe. 

Thanks again! I'm not telling anyone (except for my husband and kids) of my decision, so it's nice to be able to ask questions and read others' stories who are going through similar. 

Sarafer
on 1/7/16 11:48 am
RNY on 01/14/16
Most Active