Atkins or no carb induction.... No results after 2 weeks

sheriberi29
on 11/17/15 4:00 am - Cleveland, TN

ok .... So after a weight loss of 99 lbs when banded in 2009 , flash forward to putting on 35 lbs, no restriction, unable to find any leaks in my band, my upper abdomen is large despite me never gaining in this area.... Waiting on an appointment with a new lap band dr ... I feel helpless so I tried low calorie following to a t and it took 16 days to drop .5 lbs ... So that was about 6 months ago and now I've decided to follow no carbs ( under 20) per day .... Today is my second week and I have positive purple ketone strips but no weight loss . Can anyone help ? 

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/15 10:55 am

I think you need to check in with your doctor and also the nutritionist.  I see you're waiting on the appointment.  Just don't be hard on yourself and eat what feels good at this point within reasonable limits.  Until you know what's going on inside, it's hard to make a guess.  Good luck and I wish you well!

Donna L.
on 11/20/15 8:54 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You have to still watch calories on a low carb diet.  Also, for many people who eat low carb or keto, artificial sweeteners can cause stalls and such.  Could you post a food log maybe?

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

WereYorkie
on 11/20/15 9:29 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Sheri--- 

Can you list everything you eat in a day. Include your net carb and calorie total. That way we can get an idea of what it going on. Do you weigh your food?  

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

sheriberi29
on 11/21/15 7:13 am - Cleveland, TN

Sure . I have bacon for breakfast ( not maple cured or anything with carbs) on occasion I eat a fried or scrambled egg . 

Lunch is either a Piece of grilled chicken or strip steak  with iceberg lettuce and 2 servings of ranch ( 4 carbs) 

dinner is the same as lunch 

snacks .... Pork rinds plain or a slim jim

nothing other than water to drink 

if I have a sweet tooth I will drink coffee with sugar free French vanilla creamer 

WereYorkie
on 11/21/15 5:25 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Okay, from what I can see, you aren't eating enough. Atkins Induction is over 1200 calories and on the average, 20 net carbs. In fact, they feel more comfortable with 1500 calories for women and 1800 calories for men.

From the food entries, you have under 1200 calories AND just 13.5 net carbs.

Add more veg into your diet. You would have to eat nearly 30 cups of iceberg lettuce to get 20 net carbs! Onions, spinach, a few cherry tomatoes. Green beans, bell peppers, asparagus, etc. are all good additions too. 

Truthfully, ditch the Slim Jims... Nothing but chemicals and not enough real meat. 

Alas... sugar free creamers are not (in all honesty) sugar free. They add different types of sugars that can spike your blood sugar levels and you not even know it. I went with cream or half and half and liquid stevia. I got some from Trader Joe's and mixed it with pure hazelnut extract. Voila! Hazelnut lattes. 

So... add a couple of more calories (which you can do if you switch to heavy cream) and add more veg. 

I lost 32 pounds in 2 1/2 months before surgery with 1400 calories, 20-21 net carbs daily. The trick is simply finding your "sweet spot".  

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

Kenzington ..
on 12/30/15 7:21 pm - MN

I love pork rinds too but I just won't lose weight if I eat them... Or cheese for that matter and it won't make a bit of difference if I'm under my calories or not.  I would suggest making your proteins "clean" and see if that makes any difference.   There could also be something going on metabolically with you too.  I would also suggest you plug in your portions and foods into myfitnesspal.com or paleotrack.com and see where you REALLY are.  I know that we really try to NOT focus on calories but unfortunately if I don't I tend to overeat - I like to eat - even the good stuff I can maintain/gain on instead of lose. 

Ketone strips show you that you are indeed burning fat for fuel (which is good) but if there's not calorie deficit then all you're doing is burning the fat in your food - not from your body.

Most Active