Yuck, can't stomach the protein drinks, what can I do?

stacy T.
on 11/27/15 6:49 pm - San Francisco, CA

I am using an unflavoured protein powder. I don't know that it matters much which one you use so far as taste goes. They are all gritty. They all (whey) have that weird cooked milk flavour. The point of the jello is it contains it and makes it easy to swallow. And then easy to digest. It will taste like the flavour jello you use. Sorta ; -)

I have got;

Bulksupplements Pure Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate

Whole Nectar Soy

Biochem whey protein isolate

They all seem to work about the same.

Calo83
on 11/11/15 3:29 am
RNY on 05/20/15

I love inspire! You can get it online

www.bariatriceating.com. It costs 32 for about 20 servings but it's fantastic! Plus you only need to drink 6oz for 24grams of protein so even if you don't like it it's about half a cup.

they have tons of flavors too

pumpkin pie

peanut butter cookie

Peanut butter cup

white chocolate strawberry

dutch chocolate cake

Carmel latee (not caffeinated)

vanilla

and a lot more... Sooo good

HW 350 SW 275 CW 182.3

stepping stone goal 180

gastric bypass may 20th

cheapskate
on 11/22/15 6:37 am
RNY on 03/30/15

what do you mix yours with? Are they any good with water?

Calo83
on 11/22/15 6:42 am
RNY on 05/20/15

They are good with water but i prefer unsweetened silk almond milk with vanilla. Little calories and good stats :)

HW 350 SW 275 CW 182.3

stepping stone goal 180

gastric bypass may 20th

Ohiodietguy
on 11/17/15 8:39 am

Before my surgery I really liked Premier Protein Shakes with 30 grams of protein they were great. Since my surgery one month ago I do not like the smell of the premier drinks.  I have been drinking isopure in the bigger bottle you get 40 grams , I only like the fruitpunch flavors

also you probably know about this book  the bariatric foodie guide to perfect protein shakes by nikki massie  . The shakes are wonderful, we recently tried one with chocolate protein and PB2 and it tasted like Reese cups .  She also has a good recipe for a butterfinger shake.

Also you might try the Proti  Fruit Concentrate drinks, they are liquid and you pore them into your water.  Before surgery I could drink the milk and almond milk based protein shakes but now I can only drink the clear protein drinks like isopure most of the time. After surgery your tastes might change.  good luck! I hope this helps!

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

merali12
on 11/21/15 8:48 pm

Hi Alyssa,

been 6 months since my surgery and I finally found a protein shake I can drink without gagging.  Premier, chocolate.  It has 30 grams and premier protein bars also have 30 grams of protein.  Best advice, as much as you may not like them if you're like me, don't make same mistake I did.  Wasn't getting my much needed protein and my hair is really falling out. I am now making sure .getting my protein, and I hope my hair stops falling out.  This really has me upset.  My nutritionist assures me it will.  Good luck, you'll for fine.

NYMom222
on 11/22/15 8:03 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Protein is very important. The first couple of months it is very hard to get enough in without supplementing. That being said your tastebuds will change. By 5 weeks out I thought I couldn't drink another one. Then I found Fit frappe and Click in mocha which is coffee flavored. Sort of like a frappachino. I do like the Inspire Pumpkin Pie. I used to add instant coffee to the premier. Now I actually enjoy the premier room temp or hot like hot chocolate. You can also mix plain protein powder into foods like soup,  yogurt and cottage cheese to up their protein. I've used these 2:

Protein Powder

Like this one too...

They both have clean tastes...

The new Fairlife milk has no lactose and higher protein than regular milk. That might help too to make your own shakes.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Kamera ...
on 11/23/15 7:21 am

Instead of a drink, maybe try mixing a bit of unflavored protein into you foods. I did that often during my first 3 months post-op.

White Dove
on 11/23/15 11:13 am, edited 11/23/15 3:13 am - Warren, OH

Protein drinks smell like spoiled milk.  There is one that smells good and tastes good.  It is Syntra-6 from BSN.  Once I found that one it was the only one I used.  When you open the canister and smell it, it smells like cake mix.  It makes great shakes.  I hope you get some.  I have tried everyone out there and the only other one I can stand is premixed Premier, but the BSN is much better.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active