Weigh****chers

Laura in Texas
on 9/7/15 5:12 am
On August 28, 2015 at 9:21 PM Pacific Time, MelodyMay wrote:

I am having a really difficult time losing weight. I have eliminated sweets from my diet but don't really have the space in my kitchen or the time in my day to make weekly menus and measure every bite of food. I'm considering going back on Weigh****chers. I have always been able to lose about 30lbs doing Weigh****chers and I was hoping I could get some suggestions.

I've also had luck with Atkins, but my boyfriend wouldn't survive it. No carbs would drive him crazy. I just need to see the needle on that scale move before I lose faith or have it cause a problem with my insurance.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I just need help. 

If you do not have time to make weekly menus and measure every bite of food, you will have trouble post-op. Measuring is important in the beginning because your nerves are not healed and you will hurt yourself if you eat too much. Measuring may be important when you get to maintenance if you experience regain and need to lose the weight again. 

Honestly, I did not lose a single pound in my six month pre-op supervised diet. I'm sure I made tons of excuses then, too. But since then I have taken responsibility for what I eat and I never make excuses now. I needed surgery to get me motivated to make changes. I hope the same holds true for you.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

SkinnyScientist
on 9/7/15 10:04 am

MELODYMAY,

Laura and Chulbert are exactly right. You need to eat REAL food (not pre-packaged chemicals that TASTE like food crap).

My husband and I were both obese eating those WW meals. THey are too carby.  Further, you have to realize that the company derives the BIGGEST PROFIT from giving you LOTS of CHEAP wheat noodles and rice.  Think about it, if they WANTED to keep you within the points and give you the most nutrient rich option they would be using spiralized zucchini (i.e. zuchhini noodles whihc low carb, low cal, high fiber, high water, high vitamin).

You are going to have to change your look on food. Yes, it is going to have to taste good, but you are going to have a very small pouch. You are going to have to learn how to maximize your vitamins and nutrients and protein in relation to your pouch. You arent going to have space for cheap carbs.

Look at low glycemic index and load options like sweet potatoes if you cant live without carbs. But you really really need to learn a better way of eating.

The reality is, this is going to involve cooking and measuring.

Remember companies dont give a **** whether your health improves or not. Whether you lose weight or not. They just want you to buy their stuff so they can keep making profits.

PS. Your boyfriend can learn to cook REAL food, from scratch, to take some of the preparation pressure off of you. That is EXACTLY what my husband is doing NOW, while I work on a deadline.

OUr vegetable for the week is smoked paprika cauliflower and red lentils. It has vegetable stock, smoked paprika, carrot, cauliflower, red lentil (good carb, high fiber, high protein for a grain/veggy) onion, garlic, and ground coridander.

He was chopping and minicing for a good hour...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Chickenboob
on 9/7/15 9:13 pm - Rockland, Canada

I found the easiest way to measure is by weight. I have a digital scale with a tare (zeroing) button. I put on the plate, tare throw on the protein, tare, throw on the veggies, tare throw on the  carb (except I am not eating carbs anymore). You have to put the plate out to put food on anyways. I eat on a rotation, so I may have the same thing for 3 days in a row, then cook something new. Have it for a few days and so on.

Congrats on ditching the sweets! That is a major achievement you should be proud of!

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

Jessicaellison74
on 9/17/15 2:18 am - Lutherville, MD

i think your going to have to learn to eat seperatly from your boy friend. esspecially when your on the pre-op liquid phase he's still going to need real food. ive also learned with my hubby personally that i cook meat and veggies for my meal and cook him some rice also he loves rice hes hispanic so they have rice at every dinner. i just chose not to eat the rice. dont care for it much any way unless its in sushi. my husband is also following a similar diet to me but he is doing slim fast. hes lost some weight on it. but yeah after the operation your going to have to measure your food and protein and carbs if you want to be sucessfull get into the habit now and youll do fine

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/15 10:04 am

Hi Melody.  It is tough to try and lose weight when you have to cook for someone else.  Would your boyfriend be willing to fend for himself for a little bit?  I am extremely lucky because my NUT told me I didn't need to lose any weight before surgery but I am setting a goal for myself to lose ten pounds.  What works for some might not work for others, but what seems to be working for me is to cut out all "white" foods, i.e., bread, sugar, flour, rice, potatoes and so on.  I realize this is a typical low carb lifestyle diet but it is easier than weighing and measuring all my food.  I have never been good at counting calories and really have to much to think about now to begin to start doing it.  It also helps to cook all your own meals so that you can control sugar and salt content.  I typically try to do most of my protein cooking on the weekend so that all I have to do during the week is add some veggies and have a meal on the table within 15 minutes.  Boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs can be baked in large quantities and then used in countless recipes that even your boyfriend could eat.  The same is true for lean ground beef or turkey.  Check out recipes on the internet for inspiration.  One day on the weekend (or even a couple of hours) could really make a difference for you.  I sincerely wish you luck.

Most Active