Coffee

Life_is_good
on 6/26/15 10:30 pm

Can someone please remind me why drinking caffeinated coffee is not good?  I have a low acid brand and really think I need it! 

Dan1962
on 6/27/15 3:03 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I has VSG and its ok on my plan.  Check with your team.

crqvingchange
on 6/28/15 11:16 am

I had RNY and was told by my Center that caffeine irritates the stomach, so we were told to drink decaf if we didn`t want to end up with ulcers.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

73mbh
on 6/29/15 9:17 am

caffeine is a diuretic - makes it harder to remain hydrated

poplargreys
on 6/29/15 8:05 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

This is one topic that has a huge range of responses. My paperwork says that it should be avoided because caffeine can be an appetite stimulant and stomach irritant. This is the ONLY rule I have broken in my post-op diet - I have half a cup of coffee and a cup of fairlife milk with a scoop of protein powder every morning for breakfast. I have not experienced any change in hunger levels (I have none) nor have I had any stomach irritation or excess acid problems (I do take a daily PPI, but not because of the coffee, it's something prescribed to all my surgeon's patients for the first 6 months), and my surgeon and dietician are aware of my choice and are pleased with my results so far. 

Have you asked your surgeon or dietician what their opinion is, and why?

Life_is_good
on 6/30/15 12:11 am

Thank you for your reply!  Yes, guess I should check with my dr.  What is fairlife milk?

poplargreys
on 6/30/15 11:06 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

It is filtered cows milk, higher in protein and lower in sugars than regular milk.

Laura in Texas
on 6/30/15 6:14 pm

My surgeon also told me it can increase appetite. It has not affected mine so I drink lots of it.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/1/15 2:48 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I'm not limited at all.  I drink a lot of coffee, too. Regular during the day and decaf after 6 pm

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

zann50
on 7/1/15 5:25 am

Be sure to ask your WLS folks.  Personally, I drink full caffeinated coffee. One-two cups/day.  I also drink 150-220 ounces of water/day.  IMO...I flush enough that irritation does not occur and the other thought by many NUTS/Physicians is that it is dehydrating.  Not in my case.  Everyone is different as this board is quick to point out.

Personally, I enjoy my morning cup.  And was so pleased when it was allowed in my food plan at 3-months post-op. 

Good luck with your journey!

Most Active